British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Home Guard Titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76832)

Badger44 14-01-20 08:57 PM

Home Guard Titles

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me anything about the Home Guard titles in the attached photo, please?
If possible, I would like to know what the various units were which wore each colour of lettering, and at what periods were each worn, please?
I hope someone can help with information on them, please

engr9266 14-01-20 10:10 PM

I believe the white on red is Phase 2 of the Home Guard.

Postwarden 15-01-20 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jerry is right that the red and white version is the postwar title worn from 1952 to 1956.

The others are wartime but there is no certain way to attribute them to particular units. Battle Dress arrived in the Home Guard from August 1940 and by 1941 most units had received at least some sets. The official Home Guard title did not start to arrive until early 1941 and in the intervening period the coloured embroidered titles shown were sold by outfitters and bought by many units to wear at the top of the arms.

No printed evidence of there use has been found - I'd like to know about it if anyone has such evidence - and it is not possible from black and white photos to identify letter colours. So although worn they cannot be associated with particular units.

An example of a pair with the original price ticket is shown.

Jon

manchesters 15-01-20 05:29 PM

The HG shoulder titles worn within the Zones in the area surrounding the City of Manchester were identified by their differing colours of Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, White and Green.

regards

Postwarden 15-01-20 05:39 PM

Simon,

Interesting. Is there any documentary evidence of this please?

Jon

manchesters 15-01-20 05:43 PM

Jon,

There is but I dont have it.

Roger Miles told me he had the written list etc but I havent seen it. I would really like to know which zones had which colour for definate as I have partially worked it out from numbers and coloured titles i have in my collection.

Perhaps if you ask him?

regards

Postwarden 15-01-20 06:58 PM

Simon,

Will do. I will be talking to Roger about the Home Guard as I am planning an updated version of my Home Guard book published in 2001.

Will keep you posted.

Regards,

Jon

manchesters 15-01-20 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon,

Thank you I would really like to know the answer.

I look forward to that book.

here are some Manchester Regiment related HG badges. I have quite a lot more.

regards

54Bty 15-01-20 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 497444)
The HG shoulder titles worn within the Zones in the area surrounding the City of Manchester were identified by their differing colours of Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, White and Green.

regards

I didn't know that. Were the Gunners included in the scheme?

Marc

sapper533 15-01-20 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MHS Bulletin May 1968 Vol XVIII No 72 article by Charles Thomas.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Sean

manchesters 15-01-20 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marc,

I dont know about AA and Rocket Batteries, or Post Office Bn.'s either. Cant find the answer.

i did remember that Bruno Boulanger included the attached information in his Formation Badges book though.

regards

54Bty 15-01-20 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 497460)
Marc,

I dont know about AA and Rocket Batteries, or Post Office Bn.'s either. Cant find the answer.

i did remember that Bruno Boulanger included the attached information in his Formation Badges book though.

regards

Thank you, I keep forgetting I have that book some place.

Marc

manchesters 15-01-20 08:26 PM

I have just checked the 1941 Western Command Home Guard List to see if there was anything in the introduction, sadly not, but then realised it was written by none less than our Jon Mills.

You are very busy Jon.:)

Badger44 15-01-20 08:29 PM

Many thanks for all your replies, and for all the great information you have kindly given. I now have a clearer picture of what they are, for which I am most grateful.