British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   ROYAL FALKLAND ISLANDS POLICE FORCE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80837)

engr9266 19-09-20 07:53 AM

ROYAL FALKLAND ISLANDS POLICE FORCE

2 Attachment(s)
For those who collect Police badges (and others) Here is my latest addition:-
It is a large badge (Helmet? if one is worn there) 45mm wide x 80mm high, enamel & chromed metal with 2 sturdy blades for fixing. That is now a whole 2 FI police badges I have and shown here with some other Police badges, real or fictitious.
Jerry

altcar73 19-09-20 08:57 AM

A cap badge. They don't wear helmets. Considering the size of the force these badges are quite plentiful. At one time they sold them to enquirers for £5 each to boost their social fund. As well as cap badges, they sold plaques, patches and tie pins. The badge which very hard to find is that which was worn prior to the invasion. At that time the FIP consisted of a Superintendent (Chief of Police) and two Constables (one male & one female).

The problem with the present cap badge is that it has blade fittings and cold plastic coloured infill. I'm told that when worn operationally, this only stays in situ for a short time before it falls out (usually in one piece), due to the cold wet weather.

Dave.

engr9266 19-09-20 10:01 AM

Dave, thanks for the information.
Jerry.

engr9266 19-09-20 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 523062)
A cap badge. They don't wear helmets. Considering the size of the force these badges are quite plentiful. At one time they sold them to enquirers for £5 each to boost their social fund. As well as cap badges, they sold plaques, patches and tie pins. The badge which very hard to find is that which was worn prior to the invasion. At that time the FIP consisted of a Superintendent (Chief of Police) and two Constables (one male & one female).

The problem with the present cap badge is that it has blade fittings and cold plastic coloured infill. I'm told that when worn operationally, this only stays in situ for a short time before it falls out (usually in one piece), due to the cold wet weather.

Dave.

Dave, Could this be a pre invasion badge??
Jerry

altcar73 19-09-20 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jerry,

See attached photo. Badge "C" is the pre. invasion pattern. Immediately following the liberation, policing was provided by the RMP and the RAFP together with the one remaining FI Police Constable, Anton Livermore. They were joined by bobbies from the UK on six month secondments. Local staff began to be appointed and badge "D" was issued. However, it was widely disliked. It was swiftly replaced by badge "E" which was made in Pakistan following the basic design of the pre invasion cap badge. The cost of having a batch of the original badge "C" made, was apparently far too high and the cost could not be justified. I think badge "E" is what you have. That badge continued to be worn until the granting of the "Royal" title and the adoption of the current cap badge. Hope this is helpful.

Dave.

engr9266 19-09-20 12:44 PM

Dave, again thanks.
Jerry

Chacal 19-09-20 04:19 PM

Fantastic collection Dave, thanks for sharing.

Graham

leigh kitchen 19-09-20 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 523052)
For those who collect Police badges (and others) Here is my latest addition:-
It is a large badge (Helmet? if one is worn there) 45mm wide x 80mm high, enamel & chromed metal with 2 sturdy blades for fixing. That is now a whole 2 FI police badges I have and shown here with some other Police badges, real or fictitious.
Jerry

Top left of the display is a shoulder strap badge of the UK Police Contingents serving under the auspices of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with UN and other alphabet organisations.
It was introduced sometime between 2000 and 2003, I don't know if it was or is used as a cap or beret badge in some Missions.