British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Has anyone a Photo of this badge in wear please? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3297)

Robthereiver 06-09-08 12:23 PM

Has anyone a Photo of this badge in wear please?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Some of you will be familiar with this 1st Royal Dragoons B1 Tradesman badge worn during the 1950's/early 1960's. I am told they were made in the Regimental workshops, the brass taken form 2 pounder shell cases and rolled flat etc. The 2 pounder being the main armament on the Daimler Armoured Car, used at the time. B2 tradesmen wore the same badge but without the collar dog. My understanding is this was only worn on Battle Dress, there being no embroidered version. It also interesting to note that this badge does not appear in many publications,only one comes to mind, Peter Seamans book on Arm Badges, and oddly completely overlooked by Edwards & Langley fine publication British a Army Proficiency Badges.
However, I've yet to see a photogragh of this in wear,so I would be grateful if someone out there could help, also any further information would be appreciated.

Rob

Cardiffbloke 06-09-08 03:07 PM

Cavalry Thread

Rob

Cut and paste this into the Cav thread too. You may well find that not everyone scans the whole site and people tend to zero in to their own area of interest. You might just get an old 'Royal' who knows the answer popping up in there...

H

Mike H 26-12-08 09:19 PM

Never seen anything like that at all,only thing i can think of thats similar is the 9th / 12th Lancers armoured car badge.But that didnt have a regt badge attached to it.

grumpy 08-02-09 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 21690)
Hi

Some of you will be familiar with this 1st Royal Dragoons B1 Tradesman badge worn during the 1950's/early 1960's. I am told they were made in the Regimental workshops, the brass taken form 2 pounder shell cases and rolled flat etc. The 2 pounder being the main armament on the Daimler Armoured Car, used at the time. B2 tradesmen wore the same badge but without the collar dog. My understanding is this was only worn on Battle Dress, there being no embroidered version. It also interesting to note that this badge does not appear in many publications,only one comes to mind, Peter Seamans book on Arm Badges, and oddly completely overlooked by Edwards & Langley fine publication British a Army Proficiency Badges.
However, I've yet to see a photogragh of this in wear,so I would be grateful if someone out there could help, also any further information would be appreciated.

Rob

By and large, when Denis and I wrote the book, we concentrated on official badges, and widespread demi-official. This badge is clearly neither!