British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lightning Badge - Palestine Police? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91417)

gary1666 28-10-22 05:21 PM

Lightning Badge - Palestine Police?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
This lightning badge came with a PP cap badge and GSM medal to a Constable - I wonder then if this badge stems from the Palestine Police, any ideas? If it is it's an unofficial badge, maybe one of the various sub-units?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks Gary

altcar73 28-10-22 06:17 PM

I have a copy of the history of the Palestine Police Force 1920-1948, "A Job Well Done" by Edward Horne. An appendix to the book shows the Badges & Insignia. The badge you mention is not shown. However, as you suggest, it may have been unofficial.

Dave,

gary1666 28-10-22 06:32 PM

Hi Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I did look through that (I probably should have put that on the original thread but I was under pressure as apparently dinner couldn't wait 10 more seconds), and as you say to no avail, with it coming with medal and cap badge I hoped it would be associated.I wondered if some 'strike' force type of affair?
The other thing I wished to preclude was that it could be associated with any pre or post Palestine mitary service

altcar73 28-10-22 06:41 PM

I'm wondering if it could be related to a radio operator qualification. It looks a well made badge. I don't think that the detail in the back of the history book on their badges is comprehensive. It's been suggested to me that they used an arm badge consisting of a metal representation of an armoured car and as you will have noticed, that not shown either. Odds on its PP related so don't get rid.

Dave.

gary1666 28-10-22 06:45 PM

I think PP is crying out for a database of photos of uniform, as you say I don't think Horne's book will include everything,
Regards Gary

Milmed 29-10-22 03:51 AM

The BSAP (Rhodesian Police Force) had a similar badge worn in the 1960's to 1980's. IT was same badge but with an outer circle around the square. It was a Radio Operator's badge and I suspect worn by different colonial police forces in one form or another

gary1666 29-10-22 05:47 AM

Hi milmed, thanks for the information, I'll try and find an example to compare, Gary

mike_vee 29-10-22 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary1666 (Post 590066)
Hi milmed, thanks for the information, I'll try and find an example to compare, Gary

Rhodesian British South Africa Police Radio Operator sleeve badge

Rhodesian badge also in chrome and bullion wire versions.

gary1666 29-10-22 08:47 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the link Mike...definitely the same type of badge, I wonder now then if (1) my guy went on from Palestine to Rhodesia and the badge is from that period, or (2) the lack of circle around the edge indicates this badge is either an early Rhodesia version or a version used in the PP which was then transfered, with a small change in design, to use in Rhodesia?
Gary