British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Canadian Navy (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   WRCNS Armband (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30856)

RCN 18-03-13 05:16 PM

WRCNS Armband

8 Attachment(s)
I acquired this WRCNS Armband recently. I knew that they existed in white embroidery on a deep navy blue background & have photo of WRCNS wearing this band & its shown below also.
This armband is quite rare as it as only used during the 1942 period when the WRCNS were established as part of the RCN wartime establishment.

My understand its that this armband was worn by the first couple of classes of WRCNS that were recruited & passed thru Kingsmill House in Ottawa - this would be before the WRCNS training moved to HMCS Conestoga in Galt, Ontario.

You can see a four of the armbands being worn by Probationary WRCNS in the photo below. & I have att'd a couple closeups as well. In the standing group photo you can only just make out the white on their left arms, the lettering is not clear in that photo.
Once the WRCN was passed thru basic training & had her uniform(s) the armband would no longer be worn.
I think the two 1942 classes did not recieve their uniform kit until after they completed their training.

RCN Bryan

Guzzman 19-03-13 01:56 PM

WRCNS Armband

Hello Bryan

Interesting to see your armband and a very nice find. Similar armbands were issued here to the initial intakes of WRNS just prior to the start of the Second World War. They hadn't got any uniforms to issue to them so they had to make do with a 'WRNS' armband and civilian clothing. I've only ever seen one of the armbands on sale here and that was about ten years ago. Quite pricey too I seem to recall!

Pete

RCN 20-03-13 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pete.

I saw one of the WRNS armbands (or what appears to be an armband) on ebay yesterday, below is a photo of the lot, but vendor has no included any close ups unfortunately -

is that the type of armband you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230947457522?...84.m1423.l2648

RCN Bryan

Guzzman 22-03-13 09:46 AM

WRCNS Armband

Hi Bryan

What a remarkable coincidence! The armband shown is very similar to the one I saw. The fastenings were the same and I seem to remember that it was a slightly darker colour (I suppose this example may have faded somewhat) but the lettering was similar.

The use of such armbands was a simple and cheap solution to the problem of lack of uniforms. However, I can't help feeling that the women who volunteered to serve King and Country must have been disappointed to have been issued with an armband instead of a nice blue uniform when they commenced their training!

Pete

Guzzman 22-03-13 09:57 AM

WRCNS Armband

Hello again Bryan

I've just checked the images on E-bay and if you scroll down the page enlargements of all the badges, etc, are included. It's a very good example of the armband but the rest of it, although genuine, seems to be of different dates. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

Pete

Nozzer 22-03-13 10:29 AM

Hello,

What is the Supply and Secretariat trade badge with the letter "T"?

Andy

RCN 22-03-13 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 206018)
Hello again Bryan

I've just checked the images on E-bay and if you scroll down the page enlargements of all the badges, etc, are included. It's a very good example of the armband but the rest of it, although genuine, seems to be of different dates. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

Pete

Yes I see I missed that, here is the closeup posted....

RCN 22-03-13 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 206021)
Hello,

What is the Supply and Secretariat trade badge with the letter "T"?

Andy

Telephonist I think.

Nozzer 22-03-13 12:31 PM

Thanks Bryan,

I don't seem to be able to find any reference to it?

RCN 24-03-13 03:33 PM

Its not in May or JAN1 or any other of the 2WW period booklets I have Andy,

I am just guessing Telephonist, hopefully someone will come along to confirm or refute & set us right!

Bryan

DAVID B HOWELL 24-03-13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 206368)
Its not in May or JAN1 or any other of the 2WW period booklets I have Andy,

I am just guessing Telephonist, hopefully someone will come along to confirm or refute & set us right!

Bryan

Hi Bryan

T is telephonist but in the RAN ( Royal Australian Navy )

David

RCN 26-03-13 01:24 AM

Thanks David,
RCN Bryan

RCN 26-03-13 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 206025)
Yes I see I missed that, here is the closeup posted....

The WRNS lot sold for 41 pounds,

\RCN Bryan