British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ulster Defence Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92455)

cudlems 07-02-23 02:12 PM

Ulster Defence Regiment

12 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Some pictures of my UDR/RIR HS collection.

May be someone out there can help fill the gaps.

Best

J

1. Battalion Shoulder titles
2. Officer rank slides
3. Greenfinch rank badges
4. Pipers cap and buckle
5. OR cap badges
6. Officer cap and collar badges (also a silver RIR)
7. Mess dress badges
8. Belt buckles
9. Side cap buttons
10. ORs collar badges (Unmarked and Firmin stamped)
11. Buttons (Firmin and Guant)
12. Early shoulder title.

54Bty 07-02-23 03:59 PM

I think you may find that number 12 is a reproduction.

Marc

cudlems 07-02-23 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 596174)
I think you may find that number 12 is a reproduction.

Marc

Thanks, out of interest , what makes it a repro?

J

Mike H 07-02-23 05:23 PM

Image No3 the Rank badges.
The WO1 badge ,the one showing is the earlier version with 2 scrolls rather than 3.

grey_green_acorn 07-02-23 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The title at number 12 - The letters are poorly aligned. Here is a better example.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 07-02-23 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 596177)
Image No3 the Rank badges.
The WO1 badge ,the one showing is the earlier version with 2 scrolls rather than 3.

The UDR Greenfinch WO1 is a rare badge. I could be wrong but I think there was only ever one lady in that rank and she was in the HQ UDR Recruiting Team.

Tim

bess55 07-02-23 07:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
J, I note you have 9 anodised alluminium OR's cap badges - including the made black example (unmarked slider) which is very rare.

I have the same amount, however the badges marked TKS (in a box) and the 'fat' FIRMIN mark are made for the Royal Irish Regt and not strictly for UDR (worn in the green beret). I have an example in a bag (see attached) made after 1992 dated 7/6/05.

Bess

sapper533 07-02-23 07:53 PM

Think I also read that when they were first established, they wore Irish Guards buttons till UDR ones were supplied, (think it was in an MHS article from the 1970's)

Love the pipers buckle not seen an example before.
Thanks for showing
Sean

grey_green_acorn 07-02-23 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 596186)
J, I note you have 9 anodised alluminium OR's cap badges - including the made black example (unmarked slider) which is very rare.

I have the same amount, however the badges marked TKS (in a box) and the 'fat' FIRMIN mark are made for the Royal Irish Regt and not strictly for UDR (worn in the green beret). I have an example in a bag (see attached) made after 1992 dated 7/6/05.

Bess

Noting that member cudlems is collecting both to the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Irish Regiment (Home Service).
Not straightforward but my understanding is that when the Royal Irish Regiment formed in 1992 the UDR battalions became Home Service (HS) Battalions and until their disbandment in 2007 would have worn initially the UDR type badge in gold then silver anodised in the rifle green beret until adopting the caubeen and green hackle on the same time-line as the regular battalion.

See this thread for more detail on UDR/R IRISH cap badges https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=72897

Tim

bess55 07-02-23 08:50 PM

Good point Tim, there may well have been an overlap period then - TKS examples in gold and silver are from the same die. (including the silver caubeen badge with the long lugs.

54Bty 07-02-23 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudlems (Post 596175)
Thanks, out of interest , what makes it a repro?

J

The text embroidery and shape of the background.

Marc