British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Signaller Trade Flags (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73561)

Shiny 03-05-19 12:29 PM

Signaller Trade Flags

Hi All,

I'm trying to collect all the variations of the army signaller trade flags. I think I have most now but don't have a list of all the variations (if such a thing exists).

Can anyone tell me if the WRAC had their own set or did they wear the standard brown backed ones?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

manchesters 03-05-19 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael,

Here is my small collection (all pre- 1952) but I dont have a WRAC specific backed one.

regards

grey_green_acorn 03-05-19 05:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Michael,

Here are some variations from my collection. I do not believe there is a WRAC version.

Tim

grumpy 03-05-19 05:45 PM

The signaller badge was [maybe still is] classed as "skill-at-arms" thus worn on left forearm. As also marksman, MG LG HG and some others.

It was not a vulgar "trade", worn upper right.

54Bty 03-05-19 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 477435)
It was not a vulgar "trade", worn upper right.

Unless a Signals instructor.

Marc

No WRAC badge.

Shiny 03-05-19 06:18 PM

Thanks everyone, going off the pictures I think I have most of them.

Simon, what are the brass ones with the brass star above and who wears the stay bright ones?

Grumpy, we wore them on the left forearm as a class 2 signaller then moved them to the right forearm once you passed the class 1 course.

RSI's wore them above the rank badge and I've even heard of them being stitched on top of the stripes if you passed the RSI course with an A grade!

Michael

manchesters 03-05-19 07:09 PM

Michael,

I think the one with star above is Australian.

There are no staybright ones in my photo, there is a WM at the top and a silver plate one at the bottom.

regards

Shiny 03-05-19 07:14 PM

Thanks Simon,

I have seen staybright ones on eBay so assumed that's what they were. I've never seen or heard of WM or plated ones, do you know wears them?

Michael

manchesters 03-05-19 07:16 PM

Michael,

I have no idea on the silver one but the WM ones could be early Volunteer, Pre 1908 badges or post 1908 Territorial Force badges on Walking out Dress or even later period Rifle Battalion/Regiments badges.

regards

Shiny 03-05-19 07:22 PM

Thanks a lot, looks like they are some to watch for. I haven't seen the square set in the top and bottom rows before either.

Michael

Shiny 03-05-19 07:26 PM

Tim, you also seem to have staybright or WM ones and some black metal ones, are they the same as Simon's and what are the black ones?

Michael

manchesters 03-05-19 07:32 PM

Michael,

The one thing I have learned in 50 years of this collecting lark is that you can NEVER have them all!!

Still looking for those that I know I havent got and also those that I dont know I havent got.

regards

Shiny 03-05-19 07:58 PM

That makes perfect sense Simon

grey_green_acorn 03-05-19 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 477449)
Tim, you also seem to have staybright or WM ones and some black metal ones, are they the same as Simon's and what are the black ones?

Michael

Michael,
There are:

Brass/gilding metal with coloured flags
Brass/gilding metal
White metal
Blackened brass
Gold anodised
Silver anodised
Blackened anodised

Tim

Shiny 03-05-19 08:39 PM

Thanks Tim, do you know who wears the anodized ones?