British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   RE militia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72371)

Sonofacqms 23-02-19 09:28 PM

RE militia

I have a G/M Royal Engineers cap badge with a GviR cypher which makes it post 1936, it has a white metal "M" soldered on to it below the strap.
My question is were there Militia units of the Royal Engineers at this time and could this badge be an original?

Thanks in advance

Rob

engr9266 23-02-19 10:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
There are a number of RE badges with a white metal M attached. I have attached some from my collection. Some were fixed by drilling a small hole through the badge and attached by a small pin, if that is the correct word. Others were brazed/soldered onto the badge. They range from EDV11R to GV1R.
As far as I know they were made in Gilding Metal, Bronze & Gilt.
There are known repro's of these badges.

The last 2 represent The Malta Fortress Company and the second The Bermuda Volunteer Engineers.
Jerry

KOMalta 23-02-19 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Malta Fortress Company was a Militia unit raised in 1892 and was known initially as Maltese Militia Division Submarine Miners Royal Engineers. Unit name change in 1907 to Royal Engineers (Militia) Malta Division. In 1970 Unit ceased to exist and were incorporated into the Armed Forces of Malta.

So your badge fits within the period. The shoulder titles worn were inscribed "MALTA" as attached.

Sonofacqms 23-02-19 10:59 PM

RE militia

Many thanks chaps for your informed replies, Jerry my badge is the same as your
Malta Fortress Company badge.

I am currently re-carding my RE badges and will have other small queries which I will put up later.

Thanks again Rob

KOMalta 24-02-19 02:56 PM

On the same subject, would have the Malta Division worn the same collar badges as those of the Royal Engineers, i.e. nine flamed roped grenades with the UBIQUE scroll below in brass??

Thanks in advance.

Vincent

engr9266 24-02-19 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a pair of A/A collar dogs with MALTA on them but I think they are Artillery.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMalta (Post 470117)
On the same subject, would have the Malta Division worn the same collar badges as those of the Royal Engineers, i.e. nine flamed roped grenades with the UBIQUE scroll below in brass??

Thanks in advance.

Vincent

KOMalta 25-02-19 12:50 AM

I am sure it is Royal Malta Artillery, however I'm not sure if the RE Malta Division wore the same collar badges :confused:

I'll keep on searching through my archives and hopefully stumble on an image.

Thanks

GTB 25-02-19 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was under impression that this unit was for Channel Islands & Malta Division.

Posting a locally dug specimen

GTB

Britbadge 11-08-19 10:05 AM

Why would the Bermuda CRE use "M" ?

engr9266 11-08-19 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbadge (Post 485856)
Why would the Bermuda CRE use "M" ?

I believe it was because they were not regular troops but Militia hence the "M"