British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Officer's Guards Machine Gun Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85997)

badgecollector 11-08-21 09:48 AM

Officer's Guards Machine Gun Regiment

1 Attachment(s)
hi all
was there a silver halmarked Officer's Guards Machine Gun Regiment collar?
cheers
bc

Alex Rice 12-08-21 08:40 AM

Is it not a small service dress cap badge? Silver like the other guards regiments?
Cheers,
Alex

Keith Blakeman 12-08-21 10:26 AM

To be pedantic, Corps not Regiment.

leigh kitchen 12-08-21 11:23 AM

Battalion?

magpie 12-08-21 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Regiment.

grenadierguardsman 12-08-21 07:44 PM

Machine Gun Guards.
Andy

badgecollector 28-08-21 02:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
thanks guys for the replies.
what are your thoughts on these? are they genuine.
bc

grenadierguardsman 28-08-21 09:09 PM

1st two fake imho. The rest are sweetheart brooches ?
Andy

cbuehler 29-08-21 12:15 AM

Whilst I am not particularly familiar with these badges, the first pair are suspiciously over aged and questionable as mentioned.

CB

badgecollector 29-08-21 01:40 AM

thanks guys as suspected
bc

Toby Purcell 09-09-21 09:10 AM

They look fine to me apart from the one with a white enamel surround, which from colouration alone is a sweetheart brooch. As for “suspiciously over-aged”, the conspiracy theorists seem to strike again. It’s worth remembering that the badges are over a century old and if stowed away in an old box one would expect them to tarnish, get dusty and age generally in appearance. The pin backs seem to have been quite commonly sold by some officers outfitters, perhaps to facilitate the switching of badges between garments. Interestingly some photos also show the smaller badge in use on headdress as opposed to the larger, although it’s unclear if that was merely an expedient measure because the larger badge was lost or unavailable to the individual concerned.

Hoot 11-09-21 12:03 PM

I find the different coloured backings to the first two a bit strange. Military outfitters pick'n'mix maybe. :)

Frank Kelley 12-09-21 03:45 PM

I think, from the photographs, that the first two badges in post seven are completely spurious, they appear to be brand new rather than over a century old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Purcell (Post 559023)
They look fine to me apart from the one with a white enamel surround, which from colouration alone is a sweetheart brooch. As for “suspiciously over-aged”, the conspiracy theorists seem to strike again. It’s worth remembering that the badges are over a century old and if stowed away in an old box one would expect them to tarnish, get dusty and age generally in appearance. The pin backs seem to have been quite commonly sold by some officers outfitters, perhaps to facilitate the switching of badges between garments. Interestingly some photos also show the smaller badge in use on headdress as opposed to the larger, although it’s unclear if that was merely an expedient measure because the larger badge was lost or unavailable to the individual concerned.