British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Unknown regimental flashes (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81133)

loupie1961 08-10-20 02:19 PM

Unknown regimental flashes

4 Attachment(s)
I have recently bought a lot of formation signs, including some quite odd (to me) ones. The first one is a pair of regimental/battalion signs in blue and red. Could they have Royal Fusiliers connections? The second one is a pair of epaulette slip ons, red tape with a white stripe: cadets? Thank you in advance for your advise, gents!

loupie1961 09-10-20 10:16 AM

no hints?

no hints? I am pretty sure they are British Army, since they have come in a lot including two Middllesex Rgt arm flashes and one 145th Rgt RAC sign, but the seller sincerely admitted all the flashes were unknown to him.

loupie1961 22-10-20 11:57 AM

not even the author of BoB? :-(

Postwarden 22-10-20 01:43 PM

Workin' on it.

Jon

loupie1961 22-10-20 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 526304)
Workin' on it.

Jon

I bet! :-)

fairlie63 23-10-20 07:38 AM

You may find that these were sewn to shoulder slides, or shoulder straps. They may be RHQ 12 Regt HAC, which wore red/blue flashes on the shoulder strap.

There was also an RA unit of 56 (?) London Div (the formation sign with the black cat on red rectangle) that had a gold lightning flash across this red/blue flash.

Have also seen another with brass RA title superimposed on it.

Keith

Postwarden 23-10-20 10:15 AM

Having applied my brain - such as it is - to the problem I have only suggestions, not answers.

The red/blue flash appears in my book as badge 641 attributed from its colours as Royal Fusiliers but not attributed to a particular battalion.

The orange tape is very like a large number of similar distinctions worn during the National Service period by a wide variety of Training Establishments. They are discussed in Chapter 31 where I note the lack of evidence of who wore them and when. In some units a white strip across the coloured one identified potential officers and I would suggest that's what it is in yours.

To sum up - RF, Bn unknown, Unknown Trg Unit, possibly potential officer.

Best I can do.

Jon

loupie1961 26-10-20 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 526366)
Having applied my brain - such as it is - to the problem I have only suggestions, not answers.

The red/blue flash appears in my book as badge 641 attributed from its colours as Royal Fusiliers but not attributed to a particular battalion.

The orange tape is very like a large number of similar distinctions worn during the National Service period by a wide variety of Training Establishments. They are discussed in Chapter 31 where I note the lack of evidence of who wore them and when. In some units a white strip across the coloured one identified potential officers and I would suggest that's what it is in yours.

To sum up - RF, Bn unknown, Unknown Trg Unit, possibly potential officer.

Best I can do.

Jon

Thank you Jon! That was my guess, too: RF of some sort and Cadets