British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne and Special Forces (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   First Special Service Force collar insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68292)

dobw 05-06-18 01:47 AM

First Special Service Force collar insignia

2 Attachment(s)
First Special Service Force officer and enlisted branch insignia. Both original and attributed.

3battalion 05-06-18 03:09 AM

Nice 'dob' and hard to find.

Paul

cw2311 29-06-18 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobw (Post 445525)
First Special Service Force officer and enlisted branch insignia. Both original and attributed.

Always nice to see!!! Would be nice to see a FSSF thread with insignia, groups, and other bits.

dobw 29-06-18 04:24 AM

Thanks to Paul and cw2311 for your kind comments. There are a number of other original FSSF items pictured in my albums.

Tanker Mike 29-06-18 03:20 PM

I would like to see more FSSF cloth flashes, there seems to be a lot of different styles out there. Also heard rumors that there are modern repros made on period machines using period materials now.

Mike

dobw 29-06-18 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the three known versions of the FSSF patch. All were acquired from veterans. The variation in the middle is the Italian-made woven type. The man who gave it to me called it a "combat patch" and said these were worn on field uniforms. They were considered lower quality than the fully embroidered "dress patches." (Sorry for the glare on the photo; the patches are behind glass in a frame.)

cw2311 30-06-18 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobw (Post 447468)
These are the three known versions of the FSSF patch. All were acquired from veterans. The variation in the middle is the Italian-made woven type. The man who gave it to me called it a "combat patch" and said these were worn on field uniforms. They were considered lower quality than the fully embroidered "dress patches." (Sorry for the glare on the photo; the patches are behind glass in a frame.)

Beautiful stuff! FSSF is not my area of collecting but I certainly can see why it draws in many collectors. I have a few bits I may post. Hopefully, others will add a few items as well.

Cheers

cw2311 01-07-18 03:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my displays with some FSSF pieces. As mentioned, not really my field but I like to have a few extra things for my overall display area.

Cheers

dobw 01-07-18 02:06 PM

Nice looking display! The patch appears to be the much-sought-after Italian-made variety. Do you have provenance on the other items? Authentic "CANADA" collar discs are very hard to find, in the U.S. anyway...

cw2311 01-07-18 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobw (Post 447581)
Nice looking display! The patch appears to be the much-sought-after Italian-made variety. Do you have provenance on the other items? Authentic "CANADA" collar discs are very hard to find, in the U.S. anyway...

Thanks, this is a mixture of items put together for display purposes. A couple pieces have "said provenance" but nothing solid I can lean on. I do have some other bits, along with a uniform group to a Canadian.

cw2311 23-07-18 06:50 PM

I often see the V42 knife offered for sale for prices between the $6000 - $8000 range, however I don’t think I have seen any sell?.... anyone ever paid that kind of money for one? :confused:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WW2....H0.Xfssf.TRS1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-CASE-V....H0.Xfssf.TRS1

Roy 23-07-18 06:55 PM

Hi,

I have sold probably three or four V-42's for in excess of $8,000.

If my memory is correct I sold the finest example I have personally had for $11,500.

Cheerio,

Roy

cw2311 23-07-18 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 449278)
Hi,

I have sold probably three or four V-42's for in excess of $8,000.

If my memory is correct I sold the finest example I have personally had for $11,500.

Cheerio,

Roy

That's incredible Roy! For that kind of money, were they attributed to a particular veteran?... I guess the ones listed on Epay I posted are a bargain!!!! Get them while they're hot! ;)

Roy 23-07-18 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

The examples I have sold unfortunately were not attributed but were in truly exceptional condition.

In my experience as a knife writer/dealer condition is always the most significant factor in price. And with very desirable and rare knives (such as the V-42) there are only a handful of truly exceptional examples around.

I will add a photo of the sort of think I'm talking about for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

cw2311 23-07-18 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 449283)
Hi,

The examples I have sold unfortunately were not attributed but were in truly exceptional condition.

In my experience as a knife writer/dealer condition is always the most significant factor in price. And with very desirable and rare knives (such as the V-42) there are only a handful of truly exceptional examples around.

I will add a photo of the sort of think I'm talking about for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

Very nice Roy! Looks like new!!! :)