British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Identity Tag? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82528)

Third Tankie 02-01-21 11:04 AM

Identity Tag?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

A bit of a mystery I hope someone can solve.

This small metal tag is marked "H A Wiffin" and below the name "W/18939". No markings on the reverse.

Thanks

Kevin

oc14 02-01-21 11:16 AM

W was used as a number prefix by members of the ATS and later the WRAC so almost certainly a tag belonging to a Female soldier.
PL

Third Tankie 02-01-21 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 533840)
W was used as a number prefix by members of the ATS and later the WRAC so almost certainly a tag belonging to a Female soldier.
PL

PL,

A quick and interesting reply, part of the mystery solved.

Thankyou

Kevin

mike_vee 02-01-21 02:08 PM

Looks like an early I.D bracelet , later ones were better made and quite a few were silver.

Found a thread on another site titled:
ATS Signals British Liberation Army group

As well as I.D discs there is also a sterling silver I.D bracelet with the number W146564 belonging to an ATS telephone switchboard operator who served in Belgium.

Third Tankie 02-01-21 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 533873)
Looks like an early I.D bracelet , later ones were better made and quite a few were silver.

Found a thread on another site titled:
ATS Signals British Liberation Army group

As well as I.D discs there is also a sterling silver I.D bracelet with the number W146564 belonging to an ATS telephone switchboard operator who served in Belgium.

Mike,

That would make sense as I have found out that the ATS were allocated service numbers W/1 to W/500,00 so an early number and bracelet.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

Artynut 02-01-21 07:23 PM

For the length and width shown in the photo and as it appears to be flat, my thoughts would be that it was once attached (riveted?) to a leather or other material purse/handbag or satchel. If it is flat, would it not be rather cumbersome on the wrist as a bracelet? Regards, DJ.

High Wood 03-01-21 11:24 AM

I cannot find a Birth registration for a female with the surname Wiffin and the initials H.A., so H.A. Wiffin might be her married name.

Third Tankie 03-01-21 12:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 533904)
For the length and width shown in the photo and as it appears to be flat, my thoughts would be that it was once attached (riveted?) to a leather or other material purse/handbag or satchel. If it is flat, would it not be rather cumbersome on the wrist as a bracelet? Regards, DJ.

DJ,

Yes it is flat and my thoughts are also turning to it having been attached to a piece of equipment or personal item.

I`ve given it a clean and looked at the holes, which are at the extremities, and I`m not sure there would be room for a rivet, something softer perhaps.

The plot thickens..................:confused:

Thanks for your post and input and stay safe.

Kevin

Third Tankie 03-01-21 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 533962)
I cannot find a Birth registration for a female with the surname Wiffin and the initials H.A., so H.A. Wiffin might be her married name.

Simon,

Thanks for looking, I had not considered that, I am hoping that someone may turn up something on the number and why it only has 5 numbers.

For something so small it has certainly become a challenge.

Regards and keep safe.

Kevin

mike_vee 03-01-21 02:08 PM

I'm still of the opinion that it is an early "issue" ID bracelet , cheap , basic and functional (like dog tags/ID discs) which would be replaced by a smooth/shaped sterling silver one either as a 'private purchase' or gift from family.

The five digit number (18939) would possibly indicate she enlisted quite early as , by September 1941 , the ATS numbers had reached 65,000.

Found a 'lot' from another five digit ATS member:

An interesting scrap book compiled by W/26854 Corporal Thelma Doreane Mainwaring

mike_vee 03-01-21 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Tankie (Post 533984)
I am hoping that someone may turn up something on the number and why it only has 5 numbers.

Found something which narrows down the search :

W/1 - W/500,000 Auxiliary Territorial Service - W/25101 joined on 6 November 1939.

http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/army...tish-army-ww2/

Third Tankie 03-01-21 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 534012)
I'm still of the opinion that it is an early "issue" ID bracelet , cheap , basic and functional (like dog tags/ID discs) which would be replaced by a smooth/shaped sterling silver one either as a 'private purchase' or gift from family.

The five digit number (18939) would possibly indicate she enlisted quite early as , by September 1941 , the ATS numbers had reached 65,000.

Found a 'lot' from another five digit ATS member:

An interesting scrap book compiled by W/26854 Corporal Thelma Doreane Mainwaring

Mike,

Outstanding, the number solved and I hope the name might reveal more about this lady.

Again thank you for your time and post.

Best wishes

Kevin

Third Tankie 03-01-21 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 534017)
Found something which narrows down the search :

W/1 - W/500,000 Auxiliary Territorial Service - W/25101 joined on 6 November 1939.

http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/army...tish-army-ww2/

Mike,

Sorry didn`t see your last post, so the lady may well have enlisted around the outbreak of war in September, it gets better..........:D

Thanks again

Kevin

Home Guard 03-01-21 05:21 PM

Possible ID bracelet tag that has since been flattened for easier keeping maybe????

What ever, a very cool piece!

Terry

High Wood 03-01-21 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Tankie (Post 533984)
Simon,

Thanks for looking, I had not considered that, I am hoping that someone may turn up something on the number and why it only has 5 numbers.

For something so small it has certainly become a challenge.

Regards and keep safe.

Kevin

There were a lot of male Wiffens who married, but the way the freeBMD database is laid out you cannot find out the maiden name of his wife without checking each one individually. If you can give me clue as to which part of the country you found the name plate, it may help to narrow it down.