British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   SA Artillery WW2 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69181)

Brian Conyngham 09-08-18 03:45 PM

SA Artillery WW2

1 Attachment(s)
A very typical SA Recruit with Cap and not Polo Helmet as was commonly the case. Note SAA titles on Red Tab and "darkened Cap and collar" badges.

manchesters 09-08-18 04:14 PM

Great photo to show the relevant badges Brian.

regards

fairlie63 09-08-18 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 450903)
A very typical SA Recruit with Cap and not Polo Helmet as was commonly the case. Note SAA titles on Red Tab and "darkened Cap and collar" badges.

Thanks Brian, nice photo. Interesting to note that other ranks of SAA wore exactly the same badges as officers unlike the majority of Commonwealth armies.

Is the same collar badge still worn today by SAA?

Keith

Brian Conyngham 11-08-18 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 450941)
Thanks Brian, nice photo. Interesting to note that other ranks of SAA wore exactly the same badges as officers unlike the majority of Commonwealth armies.

Is the same collar badge still worn today by SAA?

Keith

Hi Keith

SAA titles as such are no longer worn, they went out a long time ago.

It appears a number of the Civilian reserve regiments (Territorial regiments) continued to wear them and some may still do, on certain ceremonial occasions. Dress regulations have changed a lot since 1994. Popularly known as "de-colonisation" much to the old timers disdain!

Regards
Brian

fairlie63 11-08-18 06:55 AM

SA Artillery

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Brian,

I'm in the process of re-doing my SA Arty 1902-current badge board and am looking at what I still need to pick up, and what I already have that I can use.

Cheers, Keith

Traist 11-08-18 09:34 AM

Hi Keith, it looks like you have a great lot and not too much to go. Good luck with filling the gaps. Regards Andrew

manchesters 11-08-18 09:50 AM

Nice display Keith.

regards

fairlie63 11-08-18 10:35 AM

Thanks Andrew and Simon. I enjoy collecting the SA Arty badges because of the diversity, I also have quite a few of the embroidered shoulder titles.

Had to slap myself very severely to stop/not start collecting the enameled flashes as well, nice as they are. School of Arty was my only venture into that world.

Keith

Brian Conyngham 11-08-18 07:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Very nice Keith,

Here are a few of mine. I have posted them before, have loads more need to still mount them..... sadly I have entered the minefield of the Shiny shoulder flashes... but only for artillery related regiments.

Apologies for poor pictures , taken ages ago with rubbish phone.

Regards
Brian

grenadierguardsman 11-08-18 08:26 PM

Outstanding collections, both.
Andy

fairlie63 11-08-18 09:54 PM

Awesome Brian. It was those boards you posted ages ago on the forum that influenced the design of mine when I started it.

Keith

Alex Rice 12-08-18 06:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Excellent displays, thanks. Can you please id a badge for me though? I see it's on both of your displays but I am not familiar with the badge. I've snipped the images so hopefully you can id the badge I'm meaning.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

fairlie63 12-08-18 06:31 AM

19th Rocket Regiment (or Missile Regiment, can't remember now, it might have used both at different times) Alex. It had the 127mm home grown MLRS.

Keith

Alex Rice 12-08-18 01:22 PM

Thanks Keith.

Brian Conyngham 13-08-18 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 451212)
19th Rocket Regiment (or Missile Regiment, can't remember now, it might have used both at different times) Alex. It had the 127mm home grown MLRS.

Keith

Correct Keith, a rather difficult badge to find... they go for silly prices on certain sites. Their shoulder flashes are also desirable, apparently 2 versions. One with a gold border and one with a yellowish border. Like many of the SA flashes there are those who dispute the correctness of these flashes. I acquired a yellow version many years ago out of a collection. However one source said they were made only recently, just shows us there are many "experts" out there many making spurious claims, possibly to suit their own agendas?

Brian