British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Queen Mary's Walsall (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81340)

tarabelle 28-02-19 08:30 PM

Queen Mary's School Walsall Picture

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all :)
I thought some peeps might like to see this picture:)
The information says it's a young man from queen Mary's school in Walsall
Hope it's interesting to some

T :)

Mike H 28-02-19 10:23 PM

South Staffs badge

NEMO 01-03-19 11:09 AM

brilliant photo- 1st war pattern Great coat

Parabellum 01-03-19 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 470545)
South Staffs badge

All white metal.??

Alan O 01-03-19 11:52 AM

It was the normal badge in 1938 so it's just the light.

fougasse1940 01-03-19 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 470597)
All white metal.??

Most likely the image was recently slightly inacurately colourised.

Rgds, Thomas

Alan O 22-10-20 06:13 PM

Queen Mary's Walsall

https://qmclub.org/wp-content/upload...rters-2020.pdf

A fascinating article that confirms the OTC badge was the South Staffordshire badge and the supposed cadet badge was not worn by them but used by prefects.

A discussion has arisen about the origin of the badge worn by Prefects, either in silver or bronze, according to status. Gold badges have recently been introduced for the Captain of School and the Pupil Senior Leadership Team. In an online forum, one of our Old Marians saw it described as the CCF cap badge and emailed to query this. I was able to tell him that it was certainly the Prefects’ badge during my time at School, since I used to order them from a manufacturer in Birmingham. I had the double loop on the badge altered to a pin, so I know that the design was meant to be sewn onto a cap at some stage. Confirmation came from former English teacher (1992-2002) and Officer in the CCF, Bob Champ, who wrote the CCF history “Patriotic Scholars: A Century of Service”. He writes:

"As to the prefect’s badge, JSA’s (John Anderson, former Second Master and author of the second history of the School 1954-2004) view was that it had been intended at some time in the ‘30s to use the design for the Corps, but that the Staffords’ badge was mandated and retained. The new badges, having been made, were then and subsequently used as prefects’ badges. I have only ever seen the pinned variety, of course.”

Looking at his archived notes, there is a letter from Jake Whitehouse (author) which explains:

“The photograph is of what several reference works refer to as the badge of Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall, OTC. The badge is of white metal, some 1.25 inches by 1.5 inches. It bears a version of Queen Mary Tudor’s arms, though some local reference is given by the Stafford Knot used to bind the arrow sheaf. The back of the badge has two tiny loops, obviously meant for sewing to cloth, rather than the loops, blades or sliders normally used for military badges. I am ashamed to say that the badge is named as the OTC badge in “Staffords 1881-1978: Badges and Uniforms” by Guido Rosignoli and myself. I can only say in mitigation that during the final stages of production, Guido was rushed into hospital, the book was rushed into print, and we had no opportunity for a final revision.”

The Fink history of the School states in relation to the CCF badge: “Throughout, the badge of the South Staffordshire Regiment has been worn.”

dubaiguy 23-10-20 09:13 AM

Excellent Alan - that certainly clears it up. Was it you that emailed them?

Forum member Peter Brydon mentioned in an earlier thread on the School that he has an article somewhere written on their CCF by Jake Whitehouse. I don't wish to muddy any water on what is now conclusive, but it still would be interesting to read the article if Peter finds it, presuming it adds weight to his letter to the school.

Thanks for posting their newsletter.
Mark

Peter Brydon 23-10-20 01:44 PM

The article I was thinking about was in one of the West Midlands Military Historical Society Branch newsletters and was written by Jake, despite searching I cannot now find it.

Peter

dubaiguy 23-10-20 01:56 PM

Thanks for looking Peter.
Mark

Alan O 03-11-22 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is 1938 EJ Martin.

It is not an OTC badge but is the junior cadets badge. The cadets badge is in Bronze and that design in white metal seems to have been re-used for prefects.

Alan O 03-11-22 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
with photo which both proves and refutes post 1!