British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   possible date for beret? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74238)

fearnaught 18-06-19 01:51 PM

possible date for beret?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm wondering what is the date of this beret. The officer served both during and after the war until 1956, thanks in advance Mike

Lancer 17 19-06-19 07:34 AM

Hi Mike.

All that can be said is that its a WW2 period Kings Crown Rising Sun with the full title of Australian Commonwealth Military Forces in die struck Copper/Brass or blackened brass.

From about 1948 the title changed to Australian Military Forces in die struck Gilt finish.

The Rising Suns worn during the BCOF and Korea periods were a Gilt and from 1953 the crown changed to a Queens Crown and continued to have a Gilt finish.

Your man may have continued to wear his WW2 beret up till he retired.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

fearnaught 19-06-19 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Phil, thank you very much for the info. He actually retired in 1951, I must have been in a hurry yesterday. These are his post war bits I assume. Is the large Military College badge a blazer badge or actually worn on uniform? He was with 1/8th arm. reg. during the war and there was a lot of paper work connected to the use of Frog Matildas in Borneo. Thanks again for your help, Mike

slick_mick 21-06-19 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearnaught (Post 481705)
Hi Phil, thank you very much for the info. He actually retired in 1951, I must have been in a hurry yesterday. These are his post war bits I assume. Is the large Military College badge a blazer badge or actually worn on uniform? He was with 1/8th arm. reg. during the war and there was a lot of paper work connected to the use of Frog Matildas in Borneo. Thanks again for your help, Mike

Yes mate - the RMC patch is a blazer patch.

Mick

slick_mick 21-06-19 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer 17 (Post 481676)
Hi Mike.

All that can be said is that its a WW2 period Kings Crown Rising Sun with the full title of Australian Commonwealth Military Forces in die struck Copper/Brass or blackened brass.

From about 1948 the title changed to Australian Military Forces in die struck Gilt finish.

The Rising Suns worn during the BCOF and Korea periods were a Gilt and from 1953 the crown changed to a Queens Crown and continued to have a Gilt finish.

Your man may have continued to wear his WW2 beret up till he retired.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

Some of the RAAC regiments (7/21 AH, 1AR, 6NSWMR) wore a chrome Australian Military Forces (AMF) Rising Badge from 1948 to the early 1950s before they were issued with their own regimental badge.

Mick

Lancer 17 21-06-19 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearnaught (Post 481705)

Hi Mike

As Slick Mick has said the embroidered patch would be a blazer pocket badge, we don't use patches like this on uniform. The 2 cloth patches at top right and left are 1st Infantry Group Circa 1950 and the 2 curved yellow Royal Australian Armoured Corps shoulder titles were also introduced in the early 1950's and worn on the shoulders of the Battle Dress Blouse top and on the Great Coat.

It would appear that he was a Major in the Instructional Corps, probably at the Duntroon Military College in Canberra.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Phil.

fearnaught 21-06-19 03:26 PM

Hi Phil and Mick, thanks for the replies, very helpful, best wishes Mike