British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   26th Hussars/Chindits grouping (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70131)

Paul Spellman 08-10-18 04:09 PM

26th Hussars/Chindits grouping

1 Attachment(s)
Had a busy couple of days helping a mate out at Stockport/Penkridge.
A few items brought up a lot of attention in particular the attached grouping, unfortunately it came with no name to its original owner.
We had established that a fair percentage of the disbanded 26th Hussars went on to serve as Chindits and going by the Insignia he was likely an Officer but most interesting with the help of Simon ‘Highwood’ the two maps that came with the grouping can possibly narrow down which column he was with.
Anyway it had been suggested to show it here if not just for others to see.
Paul

Paul Spellman 08-10-18 04:14 PM

Scots Guards Fusiliers

Another superb grouping that I spent the weekend with,
Also with this is the Sgts Cane and Attestation/personal papers. The picture is a small Oil.
Enjoy
Paul

Frank Kelley 08-10-18 04:14 PM

It's a great shame when groups like the one in the original post loose the little something that actually identifies beyond all doubt, the name of the original owner.

Paul Spellman 08-10-18 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s the pic for above

grenadierguardsman 08-10-18 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456364)
Here’s the pic for above

Outstanding lot !!!!!
Andy

Frank Kelley 08-10-18 04:24 PM

I like the cloth, in particular, the rank badges, but, I would not expect to have the soldiers original attestation papers with the group, they belonged to the War Office, you would subsequently expect them to be in WO97 at Kew for the period of service in question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456362)
Another superb grouping that I spent the weekend with,
Also with this is the Sgts Cane and Attestation/personal papers. The picture is a small Oil.
Enjoy
Paul

manchesters 08-10-18 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456364)
Here’s the pic for above

I saw this is Laidlaws auction, looked great.
Did Les buy it?

regards

Paul Spellman 08-10-18 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frank my mistake,
See attached, there are numerous other papers but this only one I have image of.
Simon,
Yes it was Les, I think it may be a keeper, he’s turned down a few offers.
Paul

manchesters 08-10-18 04:39 PM

Thanks Paul

Frank Kelley 08-10-18 04:59 PM

Hello Paul,
Original Discharge Certificates are always nice to find in any group, I would be delighted to have that as part of that group, of course, in the case of Foot Guards and Household Cavalry, the War Office only had duplicate attestation papers, the originals were retained by the particular regiment concerned, which is where they remain to this day.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456372)
Frank my mistake,
See attached, there are numerous other papers but this only one I have image of.
Simon,
Yes it was Les, I think it may be a keeper, he’s turned down a few offers.
Paul

High Wood 08-10-18 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456360)
A few items brought up a lot of attention in particular the attached grouping, unfortunately it came with no name to its original owner.
We had established that a fair percentage of the disbanded 26th Hussars went on to serve as Chindits and going by the Insignia he was likely an Officer but most interesting with the help of Simon ‘Highwood’ the two maps that came with the grouping can possibly narrow down which column he was with.
Paul

Paul,

having looked at the two Burma maps that were in the lot, namely 83N S/E Upper Chindwin District & Tribal area Naga and 83P N/E Upper Chindwin, Katha & Myitkyina districts, I think that the original owner served with the 16th Brigade under Bernard Fergusson. This Brigade marched into Burma during Operation Thursday in March 1944, the only brigade to do so. The others all flew in either by glider or Dakota. They marched from Ledo through thick jungle and attempted to capture the town of Indaw and its airstrip, The second map, 83P N/E, shows the north west approaches to Indaw whilst the first map shows the area of jungle that they marched through to get there.

The 16th Brigade contained the following units: 51st/69th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, 2nd Queen's Royal Regiment, 2nd Leicestershire Regiment, 45th Reconnaissance Regiment.

The ex 26th Hussars men did not make up a complete Chindit column but served amongst other columns.

Simon

Paul Spellman 09-10-18 11:29 AM

Thank you Simon,
A great piece of research and knowledge. Much appreciated your sharing
Paul

Marcus H 12-10-18 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 456360)
Paul

Hi Paul,

The embroidered slip-on shoulder titles shown are an ORs pattern, the officers’ “coloured” slip-on titles had a pattern of the 26H badge attached - regardless they are exceptionally rare slip-on titles.

A selection of mine, including only one officers’ slip:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=131586

Best,

Marcus

Mike B 13-10-18 07:36 AM

This thread is a treasure trove ... someone hit the pay dirt!
Congratulations to Les on exceptional groupings and to all contributors for the items items they illustrate and research they share ... it is what makes the Forum such a great resource.
Did Les go for the SAS group? - some mixed comments re beret dates, but to an interesting individual if correct.
All the best and well done
Mike

High Wood 16-04-19 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul,

I don't know if the 26th Hussars Chindit group has been sold or not but, in the course of researching another Chindit, I have stumbled across a likely candidate for a 26 Hussars officer serving with Bernard Fergusson's 16th Infantry Brigade. This particular officer, Capt J.B.C. Palmer, served with 22 Column, (2nd Queen's Regiment). You may recall the accompanying maps covered their area of operations.

Simon