British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My Great Grandfather's WWI collection (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60866)

Robb0124 27-03-17 02:07 AM

My Great Grandfather's WWI collection

12 Attachment(s)
My great grandfather served in the Canadian military in WWI. He was wounded at La Somme in 1916 and died as a result of those wounds in 1918 back in Canada. While he was in Europe, he collected badges and flashes from British and Canadian bothers in arms. My great grandmother left me the collection in 1986 when she passed. There are parts of the collection I will never sell but some I certainly will. I will post several pictures of his awards and some with the collection.

Any help identifying those I haven't labeled or correcting me on those that I have would be appreciated. I will also gladly post individual front and back photos of any items anyone want to see closer to identify or discuss. Thank you all.

I will start with his awards...

Robb0124 27-03-17 02:11 AM

15 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of the rest of the collection. Any help identifying or valuing these would be awesome...

DJT 27-03-17 07:41 AM

Green 3 = Royal Scots. Does the Royal Dublin Fusiliers badge have lugs or a slider?

Alan O 27-03-17 08:12 AM

If you want these identified then the best thing to do is photo them individually, front and back, and put them in an album as it's much faster to upload. Group photos of the fronts on card is of little use.

jean-paul Vermersch 27-03-17 10:18 AM

Hello all,

I agree with Allan O

This collection is a family relic.
You have to take the necessary time if you want to sell a few items.
Take pictures of each.

Have a nice day

Jean Paul

regimentalrogue 27-03-17 11:11 AM

The eight-pointed-star badge with the GvR cypher (7th badge, fourth row) in the fill board, is The Royal Canadian Regiment.

The King George V Badges of The RCR - http://regimentalrogue.com/rcrbadges/rcr-1911.htm

Sonofacqms 27-03-17 11:55 AM

A&SH

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders badge is upside down, you also have G/M (brass) Black Watch badges which I think are Canadian, the badge you have labelled as Norfolk Yeomanry is I think Military Provost Staff Corps, but nonetheless a lovely collection which I think will be a shame to split up.

An opinion only, Rob

Peter Brydon 27-03-17 01:03 PM

Robbo,

Never mind the badges collected by your Great Grandfather, the items,that belonged to, and were awarded to him and were given to his family after his death, would make a magnificent display.

Peter

wardog 27-03-17 03:41 PM

Your Suffolks and Northamptons look to be Territorial Force- reverse and close up pictures needed. Northern Cyclists-wheel and rifles- and Royal Berks are also badges I would like to see reverse and front of. Regards, Paul.

wardog 27-03-17 03:46 PM

Also Huntingdonshire cyclists. Regards, Paul.

wardog 27-03-17 04:11 PM

Also East Yorks. As stated- any pictures you can give will be a time dateable snapshot if they were all collected by your relative- and non added since his death. Regards, Paul.

MH331 27-03-17 04:13 PM

Did your family members serve in WW2 because there is a WW2 German NCOs Cap Wreath and cockade item numbered 5 in the collection.

regards

Mark

Robb0124 27-03-17 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MH331 (Post 399098)
Did your family members serve in WW2 because there is a WW2 German NCOs Cap Wreath and cockade item numbered 5 in the collection.

regards

Mark

Yes, my grandfather served in Europe in WWII.

Robb0124 27-03-17 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJT (Post 399054)
Green 3 = Royal Scots. Does the Royal Dublin Fusiliers badge have lugs or a slider?

It's on a slider.

Robb0124 27-03-17 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 399083)
Robbo,

Never mind the badges collected by your Great Grandfather, the items,that belonged to, and were awarded to him and were given to his family after his death, would make a magnificent display.

Peter

Thank you Peter, The certificate I already have in a frame and it hangs with pride in my home. The others I do want to mount and display properly, although my daughter wants some (She is named Cassidy Taylor Robson after her great, great grandfather Isaac Taylor who this all began with) I have made sure that all my children know my great grandfather's story too.... Lest We Forget.