British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Indian /Theatre Made Cap Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83620)

Smudger 53 05-03-21 11:32 AM

Indian /Theatre Made Cap Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Indian or Theatre made Cast Brass Cap Badge. Very Roughly Cast.
Kings Crown.
I have looked through Gaylors trying to identify the Regt but cannot find any image like this unless it is possibly an Indian Army Regt??.
It has a Fist holding Papers with one Wing to the right. Maybe some some sort of Signals/Messenger Corps??
The lugs have been broken off and two holes drilled.
44mm high
At a loss now, so has anyone got any ideas please??
TY

Sonofacqms 05-03-21 12:16 PM

Indian /Theatre Made Cap Badge

The badge is South African, Quartermaster Service Corps I think, no doubt some of our overseas collectors can enlighten you further.

Rob

Smudger 53 05-03-21 12:32 PM

Many thanks Rob.

Smudger 53 05-03-21 12:37 PM

Spot on Rob
SA Q Service Corps Cap Badge. Would never have thought of SA.
Cheers

Frank Kelley 06-03-21 01:09 PM

I would have thought, because of the Corps it would be either East African made for the campaign in 1940 or Egyptian/North African made a little later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudger 53 (Post 541122)
Indian or Theatre made Cast Brass Cap Badge. Very Roughly Cast.
Kings Crown.
I have looked through Gaylors trying to identify the Regt but cannot find any image like this unless it is possibly an Indian Army Regt??.
It has a Fist holding Papers with one Wing to the right. Maybe some some sort of Signals/Messenger Corps??
The lugs have been broken off and two holes drilled.
44mm high
At a loss now, so has anyone got any ideas please??
TY

Sonofacqms 06-03-21 10:33 PM

Quartermaster Service Corps

Strangely the loops seem to have been cut off and two holes drilled or punched into the bottom scroll, maybe it was nailed to a board.

Rob

Frank Kelley 07-03-21 04:41 PM

a la IWM!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 541312)
Strangely the loops seem to have been cut off and two holes drilled or punched into the bottom scroll, maybe it was nailed to a board.

Rob

leigh kitchen 07-03-21 04:47 PM

Yes, I remember, as a little kid visiting the IWM and seeing badges nailed to whitish fabric covered boards - the Lonsdales and a German WWII black wound badge stand out in my memory.

Frank Kelley 07-03-21 05:22 PM

Enough to make you weep!:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 541397)
Yes, I remember, as a little kid visiting the IWM and seeing badges nailed to whitish fabric covered boards - the Lonsdales and a German WWII black wound badge stand out in my memory.

leigh kitchen 07-03-21 05:51 PM

Oh yes.
Another "snapshot" I remember from those times is Sargents "Gassed", at that time just stuck on a wall, just part of the decor / display.