British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   11th Hussars (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41314)

chris cunniffe 23-08-14 10:22 AM

11th Hussars

Hi I am led to believe that there are 3 versions of this badge in A/A I have Firmins voided. Firmins colour change. and a Gaunt unvoided can any one please show me a scan of each version and also point out the diff so I know what to look out for many thanks chris

Mike H 23-08-14 10:40 AM

Hi Chris, what do you mean by colour change?
I have two versions, a void and a non void . Not sure of makers at the moment.

Mike H 23-08-14 11:06 AM

Just looked :-

Gaunt London non void
Firmin London void

The Gaunt is a lighter gold than the Firmin one.

Mike H 23-08-14 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Gaunt version on the left. You can see clearly the void area between the crown and the scroll at the bottom of the badge.

Paddy 23-08-14 12:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Chris

I've got 3 different versions. A Firmin marked version which is voided, a Firmin marked version which is unvoided and a Gaunt marked version that is unvoided. The 2 Firmin badges are the same pattern, just a difference in the voiding but the Gaunt badge is fatter at the base of the vertical part and it looks more tapered. Also, the Gaunt scrolls are seeded but the Firmin scrolls are not.

Paddy

Mike H 23-08-14 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy (Post 274585)
Chris

I've got 3 different versions. A Firmin marked version which is voided, a Firmin marked version which is unvoided and a Gaunt marked version that is unvoided. The 2 Firmin badges are the same pattern, just a difference in the voiding but the Gaunt badge is fatter at the base of the vertical part and it looks more tapered. Also, the Gaunt scrolls are seeded but the Firmin scrolls are not.

Paddy

I never looked at the seeding on mine.

Mike H 23-08-14 12:37 PM

Same as yours Paddy

hagwalther 24-08-14 06:53 PM

Hi Guys,

The seeded badges are the earlier badges and were changed by request by the War Office. This request was made for all A/A badges and first proposed in 1958.

Chris, see page 11.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 24-08-14 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 274766)
Hi Guys,

The seeded badges are the earlier badges and were changed by request by the War Office. This request was made for all A/A badges and first proposed in 1958.

Chris, see page 11.

Regards

Chris

That gives the non seeded badge a maximum of an eleven year life span .

hagwalther 24-08-14 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 274770)
That gives the non seeded badge a maximum of an eleven year life span .

No Mike it most certainly does not.

I said that the proposal to remove seeding was FIRST made in 1958.

Going off and making statements like yours does nothing but bring confusion and error into the matter.

Chris

Mike H 25-08-14 05:48 AM

Mind block error.
We all make errors you know,and make incorrect statements.
K&K states that 11th Hussars was sealed in November 1964 so probably less that what I originally thought.

hagwalther 25-08-14 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 274805)
Mind block error.
We all make errors you know,and make incorrect statements.
K&K states that 11th Hussars was sealed in November 1964 so probably less that what I originally thought.

Hi Mike,

The badge is in the CCN of 1963 so I would say it was sealed before Nov 1964.

Regards

Chris

grey_green_acorn 25-08-14 07:09 AM

Bearing in mind that the 11th Hussars did not wear a badge in their berets there should not be too many of either the seeded or unseeded anondised badge around?

That said, even though the 11th amalgamated with the 10th Hussars in 1969, the "stores system" could have (over) ordered.

Tim

Mike H 25-08-14 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 274814)
Bearing in mind that the 11th Hussars did not wear a badge in their berets there should not be too many of either the seeded or unseeded anondised badge around?

That said, even though the 11th amalgamated with the 10th Hussars in 1969, the "stores system" could have (over) ordered.

Tim

Sounds like it Tim .