British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Operation (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   24th regiment of foot helmet plate (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35186)

brian sinclair 12-10-13 03:12 PM

24th regiment of foot helmet plate

Fistly I would like to thank the members who replied to my questions regarding WW1 economy badges. I hope that someone can assist with my next query. I purchased a helmet plate badge of the 24th foot several years ago (badge reference KK160). I subsequently noted a difference between my badge and KK160 being that my badge does not have the Sphinx and Egypt at the base of the wreath I thought perhaps it was a fake by on looking through the book Zulu by Ian Knight there is a picture of the helmet plate found on the battle field of Isandlwana (Jan 1879). This picture is as my helmet plate. K & K show that the helmet plate was on use from 1869 - 1878. Does anyone have an explanation for the difference?

I also have a badge of the south wales borderers that I would be grateful for some assistance in identifying. It is in the same format as the standard by-metal cap badge (KK625). The difference is that this badge is white metal and a little smaller in size, the badge has lug fixings.

Regards
Brian Sinclair

wright241 12-10-13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian sinclair (Post 233294)
Fistly I would like to thank the members who replied to my questions regarding WW1 economy badges. I hope that someone can assist with my next query. I purchased a helmet plate badge of the 24th foot several years ago (badge reference KK160). I subsequently noted a difference between my badge and KK160 being that my badge does not have the Sphinx and Egypt at the base of the wreath I thought perhaps it was a fake by on looking through the book Zulu by Ian Knight there is a picture of the helmet plate found on the battle field of Isandlwana (Jan 1879). This picture is as my helmet plate. K & K show that the helmet plate was on use from 1869 - 1878. Does anyone have an explanation for the difference?

I also have a badge of the south wales borderers that I would be grateful for some assistance in identifying. It is in the same format as the standard by-metal cap badge (KK625). The difference is that this badge is white metal and a little smaller in size, the badge has lug fixings.

Regards
Brian Sinclair

Brian, Regardless of mentioning the KKNo, if you really want an answer, it would be good if you included a decent photo of the front and back of the badge. The dimensions might be useful as well. From your description it sounds as you have a Militia version - who wouldn't have been entitled to the battle honours, so they may wear the same plate. The metals used may also be in white metal or possibly reversed. Pictures are key. David

41st 12-10-13 07:06 PM

Brian,

As David has already said, pictures are the key but I would imagine that your white metal example is probably an Officer beret badge.

Hwyl fawr,
Kevin