British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Scots Greys (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76576)

Alan O 27-12-19 11:55 AM

Royal Scots Greys

5 Attachment(s)
Thi sbadge was discussed in another thread. It does appear in Marsh catalogues.
I enclose 2 of my own and one of the Marsh fakes on ebay now.

The tabks on the scroll, the font and reverse are indicative of the badges sold by Marsh.

The Victorian abdge has the uneven wings where as the second of my badges is later and has wings of the same height.

tonyb 27-12-19 12:43 PM

Thoughts on these three?

2 Attachment(s)
Interesting Alan,
Here are my three, on inspection the lugs are footed not a good sign! Oh and from Alan's observations the tabs on the scroll....
I do like the badge on the left with the strengthening tab between the wing and scroll.
Any comments on these would be welcome.
Thanks Tony.

Alan O 27-12-19 01:16 PM

The Firmin one is likely to be post war as they rarely marked thier badges pre-WW2.

The lugged one is from the Marsh die with the 'flat cap' head.

tonyb 27-12-19 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 495789)
The Firmin one is likely to be post war as they rarely marked thier badges pre-WW2.

The lugged one is from the Marsh die with the 'flat cap' head.

Thanks Alan, another one bites the dust.
Tony.

hagwalther 28-12-19 03:35 AM

Disclaimer - the Marsh dude quoted here is not our own Chris Marsh aka hagwalther.

Regards,

Chris

dubaiguy 28-12-19 07:59 PM

Hi Alan
Without being too ridiculous and attempting to anthropomorphise an animal made of 'tin', the eagle on genuine badges with its pugilistic face and different wing heights reminds me of a fighter that's momentarily dropped his left shoulder ready to deliver a killer right hook.

There is a very evident height difference on your Victorian and Tony's Firmin version as you point out, but you know I think there is a slight difference in height on your slidered version too. It's not as profound as the other for sure, but put a rule on your screen and check it out. It still looks slightly higher to me - if not higher then certainly fuller as if it's winding up for the delivery.

But, thank you for showing it and I do concede that similar or the same wing height on its own doesn't indicate a reproduction.

Mark

CAM 29-12-19 04:21 PM

I am never good at spotting exactly what is being discussed, however I understand the tabs bit.

Looking at the scroll in Alan's first picture, the 'G' of the Greys looks a little up the left. Is this the duff one?

Chris

Alan O 29-12-19 04:25 PM

The fake is on the blue background.

CAM 29-12-19 05:27 PM

Thanks Alan,

is the "G" on the one I mentioned supposed to look like that?

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 495919)
The fake is on the blue background.

Alan O 29-12-19 05:44 PM

It's just the die variation.