British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Missing badges on bd blouse (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55110)

magu 13-07-16 06:16 AM

Missing badges on bd blouse

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks
I found the blouse recently on my travels and apart from all the buttons being missing and no labels nor markings whatsoever on the inside the two black patches have me stumped,they both have holes all the way through to the inside of the sleeves as if to accommodate lugged badges with east west orientation of lugs.

Could anyone give me a pointer as to what would have been worn ?

tia
mag

manchesters 13-07-16 06:50 AM

Hello,

He was a member of a Cavalry or Yeomanry Regiment within the RAC.

Those are where his white metal NCO's arm badges were for his parent Regiment.

The shape and backing colour is a clue and I am sure a Cavalry Expert can work out which Regiment with the 79th Div it was.

regards

fearnaught 13-07-16 10:30 AM

Hi, I think it may be the Westminster Dragoons as I think they were the only regiment besides the RTR to wear the tank arm badge. Both styles of backing were used on their badges, though the ones I have are navy blue and dark purple, hope this helps, Mike

magu 13-07-16 02:09 PM

Hi Gents thank you for the prompt responses,i have been perusing the excellent British and C0ommonwealth badge chart available at http://cyklus07.deviantart.com/art/B...1944-549741749

Perhaps 13/18th Hussars or by some quirk and given that the blouse was found in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border area the South Notts hussars ?

More googling required methinks..ultimately i'd love to discover who it actually belonged to and given the M.I.D perhaps that ''may'' be a possibility

Postwarden 13-07-16 04:21 PM

The South Notts Hussars served from 1920 to 1967 as Gunners so it won't be them.

Jon

burt246 13-07-16 04:22 PM

I would say Westminster Dragons as well.

burt246 13-07-16 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For some reason the picture didn't come out first time

Nozzer 13-07-16 05:06 PM

Great image :) I hope you don't mind me turning it right way up? I was getting a sore neck!

Andy

burt246 13-07-16 05:33 PM

Lol that's what happens when you do things in a rush and from a phone. 😬

burt246 13-07-16 05:45 PM

The Westminster Dragons were part of the 79th Armoured Division, which is the other patch on his arm and the same as yours.

Postwarden 14-07-16 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture from Tanks and Tank Folk by Eric Kennington shows the NCO's arm badge worn by a WO with a backing of similar shape to that on your BD.

It was cavalry and yeomanry practice that these arm badges were only worn on the right arm which raises the question as to what was worn on the patch on the other arm which is in any case of a different shape.

The Westminster Dragoons served with 79th Armoured Division as a flail tank regiment from October 1943 until the end of the war.

Jon

sketchley kid 14-07-16 10:32 AM

Defo not 13/18th.

magu 17-08-16 09:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello folks and apologies for length of time taken to reply...life has a horrible habit of intruding on hobbies !

Here are some pictures of a Westminster Dragoons badge affixed to the backing on the chevrons...its a perfect fit even down to the nibbles round the edges to follow the outline.

This just leaves the black felt circle above the chevrons,it has been suggested that a warrant officers crown may have lived there but i'm unsure of that, also the Mention in Despatches oak leaves are not on a ribbon and its a pre 1920 version.

I would love to find out who this actually belonged to and to that end my research continues...thank you all so much for the help so far

Postwarden 18-08-16 09:02 AM

Seems unlikely that a WOs crown would have been on the other black patch as he is clearly a Sgt.

The absence of a medal ribbon under the MID emblem simply indicates that the ribbon it should have been placed on has not yet been issued.

Nice printed tank arm badge by the way.

Jon

Alan O 19-08-16 07:49 AM

Jon,

It means he was awarded an MID for an event for which no campaign medal was awarded; it's possible that no campaign ribbon would ever be awarded in which case it would stay on khaki. I have seen several of such MIDs over the years all mounted on a khaki square to match the backing of the uniform but part of the medal ribbons set. In this case it was his last award but it would be sandwiched between other ribbons if he was awarded another medal after it or earned a medal such as a LS&GC that was lower in precedence.
Alan