British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Maritzburg Rifles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87351)

shahldm 16-11-21 01:29 AM

Maritzburg Rifles

2 Attachment(s)
I have been meaning to post the following images for everyone's benefit of the following Maritzburg Rifles badges.

I sometimes wonder if I am taking the hobby to a whole new level as I find myself increasingly trying to justify that I must keep different versions of badges for the smallest variances :)

Brian Conyngham 24-11-21 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 564952)
I have been meaning to post the following images for everyone's benefit of the following Maritzburg Rifles badges.

I sometimes wonder if I am taking the hobby to a whole new level as I find myself increasingly trying to justify that I must keep different versions of badges for the smallest variances :)

That's what makes this hobby so challenging at times... I think I must have about 15 variations of the Natal Carbineers.

shahldm 25-11-21 12:23 AM

Well said :D

Home Guard 25-11-21 12:27 AM

Maritzburg, That's a fairly common problem. One thing that helps though is to see someone else's collection, and then it's very easy to not get hooked - NOT!!!

For example, I saw Jerry's collection of WRAC cap badges and have been seeking every version I can lay my hands on! Not to mention other areas I had no idea I be interested in collecting just from seeing their collection.

Main thing is do what you enjoy and have fun.

Terry

shahldm 25-11-21 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 565677)
Maritzburg, That's a fairly common problem. One thing that helps though is to see someone else's collection, and then it's very easy to not get hooked - NOT!!!

For example, I saw Jerry's collection of WRAC cap badges and have been seeking every version I can lay my hands on! Not to mention other areas I had no idea I be interested in collecting just from seeing their collection.

Main thing is do what you enjoy and have fun.

Terry

Agreed.

One thing that I have realised that is a key contributor to driving this behaviour is that over time, as the collection grows, it gets to a point where you have the more common badges. Because all collectors like something new for their collections and the scarce badges do not appear frequently, I find myself looking for differences :).

That said I would have it no other way ... that's what 40 years of collecting has done for me and I am sure for most of us in the Forum ;)

Brian Conyngham 26-11-21 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 565682)
Agreed.

One thing that I have realised that is a key contributor to driving this behaviour is that over time, as the collection grows, it gets to a point where you have the more common badges. Because all collectors like something new for their collections and the scarce badges do not appear frequently, I find myself looking for differences :).

That said I would have it no other way ... that's what 40 years of collecting has done for me and I am sure for most of us in the Forum ;)

Definitely, also in and out collecting badges for some 50 years, as and when finances allowed.... sadly the rare options have become extremely expensive.
Recall going into a shop in Durban when I was about 10 and there were thousands of badges in a huge scratch box... 20 cents a badge! In another cabinet were piles of genuine German regalia.. remember one a Blockade Runner badge still in its case going for around R20..for us it was a fortune! Begged my Dad to buy it for me and he was "not having any Jerry stuff especially at that ridiculous price!" Broke my heart that day :mad:

Traist 27-11-21 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Shahl, I have the same problem. I have managed to find 3 variations of the badge. Have a great day. Andrew

shahldm 28-11-21 01:04 AM

Tx for sharing Andrew :)

Brian Conyngham 14-12-21 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 565933)
Hi Shahl, I have the same problem. I have managed to find 3 variations of the badge. Have a great day. Andrew

Nice collection Andrew.

Alex Rice 15-12-21 11:15 AM

Ya, I've basically given up collecting the early SA badges because they cost too much and there are far too many....just stick to a few here and there!

Brian Conyngham 15-12-21 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 567593)
Ya, I've basically given up collecting the early SA badges because they cost too much and there are far too many....just stick to a few here and there!

Alex agree 100%, I've got a lot more selective of late, yes they have become very pricey.

Traist 15-12-21 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 567547)
Nice collection Andrew.

Thank you:D