British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Royal Australian Air Force Wings (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87300)

billy 13-11-21 08:46 AM

Royal Australian Air Force Wings

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all, can I have this badge authenticated please? The front looks really good, as does the rear really, just concerned with the raised area to rear - if you can see it? Where these badges made in this fashion?

The rear fabric is well attached so I cannot help but think it hiding the spaghetti type manufacture of the fakes, not that I am going to try having a look!

Many thanks Billy

Padre 13-11-21 08:26 PM

Computer says no. I wouldn't have that in my collection I'm afraid.

billy 13-11-21 11:05 PM

May I ask what is wrong with it though? Appreciate your imput, but why is it wrong? Please P.M. so I know for future and this can be returned, many thanks Billy

Padre 14-11-21 01:14 PM

I'd prefer to reply here as others might like to chip in or disagree, and it might help others.

For me, the edge is too crisp, and it looks like wool felt backing rather than wool of the period. The thread has a very matt finish to it and looks more like string rather than the silk thread with the slight sheen used on period items. The way the shape has been cut doesn't sit with me, and the very rounded ends are not common on wartime items, at least unissued items (they may have been cut to shape later). The first four feathers on the left are uneven at the base, which isn't the case on the right. Unusual for a clearly machine made badge.

Looking at the back, the padding inside has a definite shape with hard edges. If you could see inside it is most likely machine cut wool felt in white as used on modern badges, rather than the original material with has a softer edge usually. Also, modern wings usually have the front felt backing glued to the rear backing cloth. Period wings are glued and stitched, with the stitching usually seen quite easily.

Others may think differently.

Nichollg 16-11-21 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I agree with Padre.
Definitely reproduction

Here is one from my collection for comparison

lifeochil 16-11-21 10:04 AM

A fake. Also being sold on ebay by seller spanmil.

wanganui 20-11-21 10:35 AM

Fake, avoid.

I have to agree with all the comments made on this badge, a fake which over time has been sold as an original.
After a couple of years resting in collections these are beginning to resurface sometimes sewn to period uniform with appropriate wear and stories attached.

Much like the proliferation of "wartime" AM and unit stamped RAF flags.

billy 20-11-21 01:08 PM

Thanks all!
I have requested to return this item, the rear sent alarms off, but now the comments about Wing Feathers and thead make a lot of sense, this is what is great about the Forum in that you can post up pictures and if told it's wrong have the time to return the items, many thanks Billy