British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Irish Guards Silver Officers Cap Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87112)

Hepworthsmilitaria 30-10-21 04:50 PM

Irish Guards Silver Officers Cap Badge

3 Attachment(s)
I have recently picked up this Irish Guards cap badge and was informed it was a Second World War strike for an officer serving under Vandeleur. No specific name given. Any help on distinguishing the authenticity of this badge and whether I am wrong in my labeling of it as an officers badge would be much appreciated thank you.
Attachment 259321

Attachment 259322

Attachment 259323

cbuehler 31-10-21 12:16 AM

It is a genuine officer's badge, but impossible to date as they have not changed for over one hundred years. It could very well be a WW2 badge as the quality of the more recent examples is generally not as good. As they say, buy the badge, not the story.

CB

Alex Rice 31-10-21 05:49 AM

Looking at the lugs, I believe it is an older example, but pre-1970s, I think because they are nice long and heavy lugs. As mentioned, very difficult to date them, so could be any date really.
Cheers,
Alex

Frank Kelley 31-10-21 10:54 AM

I think it is an original officers star with some age to it, did the officer concerned, serve under John or Giles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hepworthsmilitaria (Post 563608)
I have recently picked up this Irish Guards cap badge and was informed it was a Second World War strike for an officer serving under Vandeleur. No specific name given. Any help on distinguishing the authenticity of this badge and whether I am wrong in my labeling of it as an officers badge would be much appreciated thank you.
Attachment 259321

Attachment 259322

Attachment 259323

Hepworthsmilitaria 31-10-21 12:07 PM

I believe the officer concerned served alongside Giles but under John in the Irish Guards order of battle if that makes sense. However I may be wrong

Hepworthsmilitaria 31-10-21 12:18 PM

Thank you CB and Alex for your knowledge and expertise

Holyboy 31-10-21 12:39 PM

Nice

Nice badge if the back story can be proved that’s great if not I’d be inclined to ignore it I’d say this joining of dots so to speak is worse than ever now. Great if it’s true otherwise it could be completely made up.

Frank Kelley 31-10-21 04:44 PM

The actual badge remains what it is, without any provenance, it is still an original star.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyboy (Post 563637)
Nice badge if the back story can be proved that’s great if not I’d be inclined to ignore it I’d say this joining of dots so to speak is worse than ever now. Great if it’s true otherwise it could be completely made up.

Hepworthsmilitaria 12-11-21 04:53 PM

Update on provenence

I have found out that this badge was purchased as part of a lot of Vandeleurs personal headdress being his beret and service dress cap with two loose badges this being one of them. It was bought from a Bosley’s auction some 20 years ago and I have contacted Bosley’s to get some provenence and am awaiting a reply.

Alex Rice 13-11-21 06:34 AM

Good luck, I hope you get some positive feedback!

lifeochil 13-11-21 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 563622)
It is a genuine officer's badge, but impossible to date as they have not changed for over one hundred years. It could very well be a WW2 badge as the quality of the more recent examples is generally not as good. As they say, buy the badge, not the story.

CB

The "story" can be part of the provenance.

leigh kitchen 13-11-21 09:19 PM

Emphasis on part of.

Frank Kelley 14-11-21 06:34 PM

They certainly have changed, very considerably, in particular, over the last fifty years, since the rot set in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 563622)

CB

Hepworthsmilitaria 14-11-21 09:38 PM

Provenence Update

Bad news I’m afraid. The records no longer exist from the Bosley’s auction and the buyer no longer has any receipt. So the only chance I have is if I went through every Bosley’s auction catalogue since 1990 to find a listing that correlates to the story I have been told by the buyer. I shall post again if I find anything but if anyone finds a listing from Bosley’s such as the one described in a previous reply please don’t hesitate to reply.

Frank Kelley 20-11-21 06:05 PM

Sadly. without any tangible provenance, it really does not matter, but, you still have an original and not unattractive star.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hepworthsmilitaria (Post 564831)
Bad news I’m afraid. The records no longer exist from the Bosley’s auction and the buyer no longer has any receipt. So the only chance I have is if I went through every Bosley’s auction catalogue since 1990 to find a listing that correlates to the story I have been told by the buyer. I shall post again if I find anything but if anyone finds a listing from Bosley’s such as the one described in a previous reply please don’t hesitate to reply.