British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   eBay Para Regt badge KC opinions please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80893)

marinus 21-09-20 07:17 PM

eBay Para Regt badge KC opinions please

3 Attachment(s)
Good evening,

Can I have your opinions on this Parachute Regiment badge, please?
Are my old eyes misleading me or is the lion looking backwards?

Marinus

Attachment 231028 Attachment 231029Attachment 231030

Home Guard 21-09-20 08:57 PM

Sure looks like it to me. But I am no expert on British Para badges.

Terry

Arnhem Jim 21-09-20 09:16 PM

eBay Para Regt badge KC opinions please

Hello Marinus,
Para badge looks dubious from what I can see.You may want to glance at the following article from my blog for further confirmation; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/0...cap-badge.html
Regards,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

altcar73 21-09-20 09:17 PM

I'm no expert but it looks like a poorly made repro. to me.

Dave.

Luke H 21-09-20 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Repro! Found with modern footed loops (as yours) and with fake Marples & Beasley brass sliders.

Read this thread - https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=Marples

Note the lion is falling off the crown from the back, die flaws highlighted and how the cords cross over etc. etc.

Frank Kelley 22-09-20 06:44 AM

Awful, a glance the crown speaks volumes, if you have bought that send it back and advise the seller you wanted a real one!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinus (Post 523378)
Good evening,

Can I have your opinions on this Parachute Regiment badge, please?
Are my old eyes misleading me or is the lion looking backwards?

Marinus

Attachment 231028 Attachment 231029Attachment 231030

marinus 22-09-20 03:27 PM

eBay Para Regt badge KC opinions

2 Attachment(s)
Gents,

I believe also that this is a repro.
It has the same die flaws and the "ugly falling lion" as the badge that Luke shows in his post #5 and link.

I didn't won it on eBay, I was outbid as usual in the very last seconds.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Marinus

Attachment 231058 Attachment 231057

tcrown 22-09-20 04:38 PM

Ugly lion indeed. No worries Marinus, there are plenty of original badges on the market. I’m sure you’ll find a good one soon. For reference, have a look at Paul’s comprehensive collection (pahannah).

Frank Kelley 23-09-20 07:53 AM

You had a lucky escape.:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinus (Post 523466)
Gents,

I believe also that this is a repro.
It has the same die flaws and the "ugly falling lion" as the badge that Luke shows in his post #5 and link.

I didn't won it on eBay, I was outbid as usual in the very last seconds.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Marinus

Attachment 231058 Attachment 231057

marinus 23-09-20 05:06 PM

"White Metal Alternative" parachute regiment badge

Yes, Paul has some very nice para badges indeed.
I was actually triggered for my eBay search when I saw the "White Metal Alternative" badge in his album.

Marinus

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrown (Post 523478)
Ugly lion indeed. No worries Marinus, there are plenty of original badges on the market. I’m sure you’ll find a good one soon. For reference, have a look at Paul’s comprehensive collection (pahannah).

pahannah 23-09-20 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinus (Post 523593)
Yes, Paul has some very nice para badges indeed.
I was actually triggered for my eBay search when I saw the "White Metal Alternative" badge in his album.

Marinus

Hello

Very interesting

Yes i have a similar badge, in fact 2 if you count the brass unplated one (in hand they are quite different). Now they are similar with the rigging lines which I am comfortable with, but the lion on mine seems to be straight forward facing unlike this one, and under magnification I can see die flaw, and similar looking marks on the body of the lion on the white metal I have with this one.

My white metal is closer to the one in this post, but on the brass version, again is similar in look, rigging etc, but different when in hand, weight, thickness, quality and crispness of look.

When I compare my white metal with the brass, they are in fact very different in detail, looking at the back tells the bigger story, the brass one being very detailed and profound. Also the feathers are very different in the shape, the brass are more round, equal, and defined than the whitemetal alternative version I have and the one in this post.

The lugs on my white metal are certainly more aged, no fresh/bright brazing.

I am happier with my white metal alternative, than the one subject to scrutiny, and I have read all the comments and followed the links, with the history with the slider versions etc, and to be honest im on the fence.

If I was to doubt, it would be the lack of clarity on the back, rather than the front, I know that die flaws are known in JR Gaunt, and they are much more obvious than this badge, are they the only maker to have them?

I dont think I have helped the debate, but you have my 2 c's worth.

Let me try to do some picture comparisons, I tried earlier but only having an iphone 6 my pictures never seem that great.

Kind Regards
Paul

silverwash 24-09-20 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
on which branch of the evolution tree does this animal hang. lugs do not possess club feet, no die flaws. was this pattern the source of the copies ? a veritable Flying Dutchman. neither beast nor fowl. fist clenching during sleep rules !

Luke H 24-09-20 09:04 PM

It’s an interesting badge being devoid of all the noted flaws as I can see.

Unusual also in that badges from this die are fairly scarce so one would assume the die did not see much use to generate flaws v’s the Gaunt die for example.

Before yours all those I’d seen had some or all of the flaws mentioned. Clearly their absence on your badge indicates an earlier strike. I also like that the loops are closer together too.

The Marples & Beasley and dustbin lid footed loop badges posted earlier are undoubtedly repros. There is no way either was made in the 1950s.

Yours may raise another possibility.

Can you post a picture of the back straight-on please?

Jack8 25-09-20 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwash (Post 523726)
on which branch of the evolution tree does this animal hang. lugs do not possess club feet, no die flaws. was this pattern the source of the copies ? a veritable Flying Dutchman. neither beast nor fowl. fist clenching during sleep rules !

What lies beneath the braze, pray not a footed lug?

silverwash 25-09-20 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sun's out ! this pattern has always created confusion because of the unsymmetrical rigging lines. cannot comment on the feet of the lugs as my angle grinder is on loan. I seem to remember an image of a Gaunt catalogue illustrating lugs that did possess evolutionary feet, however not size tens. I also remember being told by a collector that I should avoid any cap badge with lugs that are the same colour as copper fittings used for plumbing.