British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help ID my Great Grandfather's cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69714)

POFmilitaria 12-09-18 08:49 PM

Help ID my Great Grandfather's cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I collect mainly American Militaria but I am part British so many of my ancestors fought in the British military. I was given this photograph of my Great Grandfather. His name was Christopher Clark and I was told he was killed in action only a few weeks before World War I ended. That is the only info I have on him. I notice there is insignia on his cap but have no idea what it may be. It is very blurry but I figured maybe someone on this forum could identify it. If anyone could identify the regiment I would be very grateful to find out my family's history.

Thanks,
Jacob Anderson

Bill A 12-09-18 10:18 PM

Hello Jacob, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

gb64 12-09-18 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POFmilitaria (Post 454026)
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I collect mainly American Militaria but I am part British so many of my ancestors fought in the British military. I was given this photograph of my Great Grandfather. His name was Christopher Clark and I was told he was killed in action only a few weeks before World War I ended. That is the only info I have on him. I notice there is insignia on his cap but have no idea what it may be. It is very blurry but I figured maybe someone on this forum could identify it. If anyone could identify the regiment I would be very grateful to find out my family's history.

Thanks,
Jacob Anderson

Hello Jacob

The cap badge looks like the Bedfordshire Regiment, hopefully someone may be able to look up his name for you

Gerard

Phil2M 13-09-18 01:14 AM

I would go with Bedfords as well :)

magpie 13-09-18 06:55 AM

Agreed.

leigh kitchen 13-09-18 07:02 AM

Duplicate

leigh kitchen 13-09-18 07:03 AM

Agreed, Bedfordshire Regiment.

A possible candidate on CWGC, buried at Doullens Cemetery Extension No. 1

Last name
CLARK
First name(s)
Rank
Private
Service number
Regiment
Bedfordshire Regiment
Country of service
United Kingdom
Date of death
Saturday, March 30, 1918

Private
CLARK, C S
Service Number 30145

Died 30/03/1918

Aged 31

4th Bn.
Bedfordshire Regiment

Son of Stephen William and Alice Edith Clark, of Brockley, London; husband of Edith Clara Clark, of Mill Lane, Ewell, Surrey.

First Name:
C S
Surname:
Clark
Index Number of Admission:
Private
Service Number:
Years Service:
9 months
Months With Field Force:
6 months
Ailment:
Influenza
Date of Admission for Original Ailment:
05/03/1917
Date Transferred to Other Hospitals:
05/03/1917
Notes written in the Observations Column:
Corps Rest Station, 3rd Field Ambulance.
Religion:
Church of England
Regiment:
Bedfordshire Regiment
Battalion:
4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
Other unit info:
A Company

gb64 13-09-18 07:09 AM

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...82643/clark,-/

I found this on the CWGC ,do any of the names link up ?

Gerard

magpie 13-09-18 11:01 AM

He may not have been in the Bedfords when he was killed.

leigh kitchen 13-09-18 11:09 AM

There are other C. Clarks in other units to check, Beds. Regt. is the obvious place to start looking pending any further info, hopefully there will be more detail to work with?

A CWGC Charles Clark:

Corporal
CLARK, CHARLES
Service Number 13266

Died 23/04/1917

1st Bn.
Bedfordshire Regiment

Commemorated on the Arras Memorial

POFmilitaria 15-09-18 12:57 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. I called my Grandma and she is going to talk to her cousins to get some more information. I'll keep it posted here when I find his info!

Jacob

POFmilitaria 20-09-18 04:06 PM

Found him

Got some great news from my Grandma today. His name was William Thomas Clark and not Christopher. He was in C Company, 7th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment. He joined the Army on June 7, 1915 and was shipped out to France in February of 1916. Clark was wounded in April of 1917 and recovered in England. After recovery he returned to France but was sadly killed in action near Gentelles on the Somme on April 5, 1918.

Jacob Anderson

leigh kitchen 20-09-18 04:14 PM

7th Bn Bedfordshire Regiment - nicknamed "The Peace Makers", although I suspect that self appointment was made by battalions of a number of regiments.

leigh kitchen 20-09-18 04:29 PM

Listed as Pte 20882 (and with widows name and address) on CWGC.