British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Royal Horse Artillery Beret Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59508)

Postwarden 23-01-17 03:23 PM

Royal Horse Artillery Beret Badge

1 Attachment(s)
An nice shot of two RHA gunners wearing the badge not officially introduced until 1948 although as this wartime shot shows, widely worn anyway, in this case in the khaki beret.

Probably BAOR circa 1946/47.

Jon

Mike Jackson 23-01-17 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another cheerful Horse Gunner - this time from 12 RHA. Not dated, but probably soon after VE Day. His badge resides in my collection. Mike
Attachment 163748

Voltigeur 23-01-17 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 391312)
And another cheerful Horse Gunner - this time from 12 RHA. Not dated, but probably soon after VE Day. His badge resides in my collection. Mike
Attachment 163748

Mike, What is the colour of the patch behind the badge ?

Jo

54Bty 23-01-17 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltigeur (Post 391322)
Mike, What is the colour of the patch behind the badge ?

Jo

This is a question that has been with us for years!

Marc

fairlie63 23-01-17 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 391312)
Attachment 163748

Interesting considering that 12 RHA was HAC! The batteries of 12 RHA(HAC) wore separately coloured bands below their brass HAC shoulder titles - blue/red for RHQ, red for C Bty, green for F Bty and I think blue for D Bty.

So I wonder if the beret patch conforms or if there was one for the whole regiment.
Keith

54Bty 23-01-17 06:46 PM

Never thought of that.

Marc

fougasse1940 23-01-17 09:27 PM

Perhaps this is of help: MHS Bulletin Vol. XXXVI No. 141 August 1985 p. 10; Cap Badge Backings by Eddie Parks: "The 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery soldiers wear a backing to their beret and collar cyphers in memory of Second-Lieutenant Ward Gunn's VC at Sidi Rezegh".

Rgds, Thomas.

Mike Jackson 24-01-17 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst on the HAC, my favourite image - says it all about Eighth Army! The state of the splendid Chev (Ford?) truck (note the charging rhino on the bumper and door markings), the uniforms (or lack of uniformity), the dog - the whole ensemble is the cartoonist's dream. Mike
Attachment 163792

fairlie63 24-01-17 09:33 AM

With the pillion passenger wearing a tie!

tonyb 13-11-20 07:03 PM

And Paddington bear behind the front seat passenger!
Excellent photograph.
Tony.

Artynut 23-11-20 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back to the badges, can any one give me a definitive answer as to these two RHA badges? They were obviously around long before 1948 (official introduction) I do not believe them to be fakes, so who were they made for. I note that the strap finishes outside of the circlet. D.J.Attachment 234875

Attachment 234876

Attachment 234877

CAM 23-11-20 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 391397)
Whilst on the HAC, my favourite image - says it all about Eighth Army! The state of the splendid Chev (Ford?) truck (note the charging rhino on the bumper and door markings), the uniforms (or lack of uniformity), the dog - the whole ensemble is the cartoonist's dream. Mike
Attachment 163792

I can remember reading an article in the British Army Review (BAR) - I think in the 1980s stating that the only 8th Army Order on dress was that "Top hats are not to be worn in the 8th Army."

When things are back to normal I shall try and find the article.

Chris

Luke H 23-11-20 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 529828)
Back to the badges, can any one give me a definitive answer as to these two RHA badges? They were obviously around long before 1948 (official introduction) I do not believe them to be fakes, so who were they made for. I note that the strap finishes outside of the circlet. D.J.Attachment 234875

Attachment 234876

Attachment 234877

The EviiiR badge is lovely. Nothing wrong there. Very desirable badge, c.£250 on a dealer’s list.

Can you post better close ups of the GvR badge with more light, it’s similar to one I’ve seen before but yours looks much rougher, almost sand cast. The other badge was also unmarked.

54Bty 23-11-20 10:36 PM

Back to the badges, can any one give me a definitive answer as to these two RHA badges? They were obviously around long before 1948 (official introduction) I do not believe them to be fakes, so who were they made for. I note that the strap finishes outside of the circlet. D.J.

E Battery Royal Horse Artillery

The Royal Cypher of King George V in the centre of the Garter with a scroll below inscribed ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, ensigned by a Tudor Crown. Solid.
Private purchase, silver. 1933-1934 and 1935-1936.

In 1934 the Battery Commander Major E. Latham MC., ordered all non-regulation badges to be removed. But it re-appeared in 1935, for the records of Firmin & Son, who made the badge, have it listed as "a Pagri badge for E Bty RHA for wear on the Silver Jubilee Parades" which were held in May that year.
The badges were die cast in white metal some with the manufacturer's name in raised letters on the smooth back. Those for EVIII and GVI were similarly marked.

The Royal Cypher of King Edward VIII in the centre of the Garter with a small scroll below inscribed ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, ensigned by a large Tudor Crown.
Private purchase, silver. 1936

Marc

Artynut 24-11-20 02:37 AM

Luke H. Thank you for your comment. Please DO look at the first image again, (the rear view of both badges) BOTH badges are maker marked (Firmin London). Your estimate of the value of the ERV111 badge far surpasses what I paid for it. I am sorry that quality of my photo’s is less than could be achieved my a real photographer. It was the best of seven phot’s I took! Perhaps the horizontal view of the GRV badge would be more plain to your eye. Definitely not the best quality of casting either!

54Bty, (Mark) As you know, I have several albums on the forum of RA stuff so when I get to putting my RHA stuff into an album, I would ask that you allow me to Quote and attribute those quotes to your name. As in previous times, you have come through with some valuable and useful information. Thank you, Both of You! Regards, David J.