British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Scots Greys (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74498)

billy 10-07-19 05:14 PM

Royal Scots Greys

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all, here is either an Arm badge? or a Pouch badge, but on the rear is a partial mark and hopefully someone may recognise it?? Badge itself isn't Hallmarked but appears Silver ( blackens white paper when rubbed onto it?? ) any information on it would be appreciated, date in use or could it beca Pipers badge?

That is if its real of course? Many thanks in advance Billy

grenadierguardsman 10-07-19 08:40 PM

The two broad arrow marks indicate sold-out of service, i believe.
Andy

billy 11-07-19 05:04 AM

Does that mean it was sold off to a retailer, for scrap or something like that? Also when did these markings be in common usage? Never come across them before and first time I've heard of them too! But!! helps to confirm its not a fantasy but a good badge!

Many thanks hopefully some more infi will pop up? All the best billy

leigh kitchen 11-07-19 07:38 AM

I've read (the usual, can't remember where) that broad arrow arrangement was used on weapons that were sold out of service.

hagwalther 11-07-19 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 483372)
Does that mean it was sold off to a retailer, for scrap or something like that? Also when did these markings be in common usage? Never come across them before and first time I've heard of them too! But!! helps to confirm its not a fantasy but a good badge!

Many thanks hopefully some more infi will pop up? All the best billy

Hi Billy, Tim,

The two broad arrow marks (sold out of service) are commonly found on WW1 Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifles here in NZ. I was told years ago by the old guys at the rifle club that I belonged to (Petone Rifle Club based at Trentham) that when they were young men they would go to the Trentham army camp gates and buy them from the guard room sergeant for 10 bob each (50p).

Used them to go deer hunting/culling with and I owned one so marked for quite some years regularly shooting handloads at the range after formal shooting. Also, when a well liked and respected officer left he would often be given one as a going away gift - these being from a stash specially selected by the armourer. i.e. a good 'un.

Must have been great times...

Regards,

Chris

PS Sorry to go off topic but the marks are per UK and Commonwealth military usage.

grenadierguardsman 11-07-19 09:59 AM

Thats right seen on rifles. I have a Martini Henry with them on.
Andy

magpie 11-07-19 10:06 AM

Not keen on the badge or the marking.

grenadierguardsman 11-07-19 08:07 PM

I doubt the markings are original to the badge, looks like someones tried to bling it up. With weapon markings IMO.
Andy

billy 11-07-19 08:21 PM

Many thanks for the imput on this badge, it all has helped, billy