British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Large Natal Scottish Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84985)

Scottish Borderers 19-05-21 06:56 PM

Large Natal Scottish Badge

2 Attachment(s)
All,

Would anyone like to take a punt on the authenticity of this Natal Scottish Badge.

It's large in size and possibly be Pipe Band related and in service from 1940 - 1945

I know the writing looks unusual and have found similar variations, if a fake why take so much time to engage it?

Thanks

Gerry

Brian Conyngham 19-05-21 07:05 PM

Hi Gerry

Not the best example but I have never seen a fake to be honest, this one appears to be possibly lead and they were all hand made. It has been given a brass wash, not uncommon with SA lead badges that were made largely in the Railway Workshops during this period. It has an old patina and cannot see the point of faking these badges, there needs a big market.

Nicer ones do come on the market from time to time.

Brian

Scottish Borderers 19-05-21 08:13 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the reply, I am not an expert but your answer does make sense.

Kind regards

Gerry

Traist 20-05-21 07:19 AM

Hi Gerry, it looks good to me. I have a number of variations in my collection. As Brian said, they were hand made. Have a great day, Andrew

Scottish Borderers 20-05-21 07:26 AM

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply and also confirming my thought's.

Gerry

Hawthorn 20-05-21 09:31 AM

Gerry,

An interesting badge and one, quite frankly I would have dismissed if I'd found it as a fake, fantasy item. Power of The Forum once again, every day I learn something new. Thanks for the images and information.

Regards, Simon.

Frank Kelley 21-05-21 07:18 AM

I certainly think one of the cruder examples, but, still a truly pleasing and scarce badge, I would not be in any way unhappy with it, although I do not think the lugs are the original contemporary ones.
Notwithstanding, I think you have done well, not getting any easier to find these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottish Borderers (Post 550132)
All,

Would anyone like to take a punt on the authenticity of this Natal Scottish Badge.

It's large in size and possibly be Pipe Band related and in service from 1940 - 1945

I know the writing looks unusual and have found similar variations, if a fake why take so much time to engage it?

Thanks

Gerry

Scottish Borderers 21-05-21 10:16 AM

Frank,

Thanks, the badge came as part of an auction lot and was one that I was unsure of but happy with.

Gerry

Alex Rice 22-05-21 06:17 AM

Can you identify the metal it is made from? Is it lead as suggested? It just looks like a different pattern to others I have seen.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex