British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Army Recruiter - Cloth Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21539)

Peter J 14-12-11 11:43 AM

Army Recruiter - Cloth Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Any info/comments on the attached badge greatly appreciated:

Attachment 54757Attachment 54758

With thanks,

Peter.

Phil2M 14-12-11 12:13 PM

Is it Canadian?

Peter Brydon 14-12-11 12:20 PM

Shown on page 121 of Edwards and Langley ( British Army Proficency Badges ) and stated to be worn with 171a ( the Recruiter arm badge of crossed union flags with crown )

P.B.

Phil2M 14-12-11 12:26 PM

Hello PB,

I don't want to hijack PJ's thread but was just wondering when this badge would have been worn, being cloth i am assuming post ww1?

Cheers
Phil

Peter J 14-12-11 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 146240)
Shown on page 121 of Edwards and Langley ( British Army Proficency Badges ) and stated to be worn with 171a ( the Recruiter arm badge of crossed union flags with crown )

P.B.

Thank you, Peter. Is there any information regarding date/s of use, at all?

With thanks,

Peter

[Edit - Whoops! Sorry Phil... must have been typing at the same time :D].

Phil2M 14-12-11 12:30 PM

Great minds............:D

54Bty 14-12-11 12:31 PM

The words ARMY RECRUITER embroidered in gold wire into a Navy blue felt background with a cut edge.

Worn at the top of both sleeves of the Number 1 Dress Jacket by Senior Non Commissioned Officers employed as Army Recruiters. Catalogue number CB 1580.
Also in yellow thread on Navy blue for the Greatcoat, Silver wire on Rifle Green, Piper Green (circa 1955) and Light Infantry Green (circa 1955).

Marc :)

Peter Brydon 14-12-11 12:33 PM

There is a picture in the book of an Army Recruiter wearing the title which is captioned circa 1935.

The "Army Recruiter " title seems to have replaced another badge P.P.R ( Paid Pensioner Recruiter ) worn up to 1934.

P.B.

( I am hoping another member might contribute further and give chapter and verse on the title )

Marc had already replied before I submitted this post.

Peter J 14-12-11 12:42 PM

Super replies, as ever.

Not entirely clear from my photos; this badge is embroidered gold wire on a Navy blue felt.

Sincere thanks, gentlemen.

Peter.

davec2 14-12-11 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 146240)

P.B.

Hi gentlemen,

I do not have a copy of Edwards & Langley but am I to take it that the above mentioned title would be worn with this badge ( EIIR crown ), for Peter J, I have two, if they should be together, do you want one ? .......

Dave.

Peter J 14-12-11 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davec2 (Post 146260)
Hi gentlemen,

I do not have a copy of Edwards & Langley but am I to take it that the above mentioned title would be worn with this badge ( EIIR crown ), for Peter J, I have two, if they should be together, do you want one ? .......

Dave.

Dave,

PM sent.

Peter.

davec2 14-12-11 01:58 PM

Peter,

PM answered.

Dave. :D :D :D

Postwarden 15-12-11 09:51 AM

Army Recruiter

1 Attachment(s)
The title was introduced in 1934 when Paid Pensioner Recruiters were given blue patrols to replace the khaki service dress they had worn previously. To replace the script letters PPR (see scan) worn on SD they adopted this title in gold wire on blue for the jacket and in yellow wool embroidery on their greatcoat. It was also worn on SD when the Recruiters went into that uniform in wartime.

Postwarden

Peter J 19-12-11 03:38 PM

A BIG 'THANK YOU'

1 Attachment(s)
Well, gents, yet another very big 'thank you' to Dave. Here are the two badges together, and rather splendid they look too :):

Attachment 55016

Dave, my sincere thanks to you for the provision of this lovely badge - much nicer in the flesh than I had imagined. I have lost count of the number of 'thank yous' you have received here on the forum, and here is another to add to your collection ;).

Thanks to all for your help.

Peter.

grey_green_acorn 19-12-11 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I may be wrong but I think the "Army Recruiter" in gold wire on dark blue was more likely to have been worn in "Blues/No1 Dress above this type with QC or KC.

Tim