British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Commando insignia WWI GSWA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89313)

iaindh 20-04-22 12:26 PM

Commando insignia WWI GSWA

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what insignia Commandos would have worn during the invasion of German SWA? If any

Attachment 266749

TIA Iain

Traist 30-04-22 08:22 AM

Hi Iain, extremely interesting picture. I haven't seen any commando badges for this period. I do have a couple of Mounted Rifle Association badges for this period, so it is definitely possible that they did exist. Regards Andrew

iaindh 30-04-22 10:36 AM

Thanks Andrew,

Were all Commandos required to be part of a Rifle Associations?
Some seem uniformed in the photo, others, almost as they would have been in the ABW.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 578134)
Hi Iain, extremely interesting picture. I haven't seen any commando badges for this period. I do have a couple of Mounted Rifle Association badges for this period, so it is definitely possible that they did exist. Regards Andrew

Traist 05-08-22 05:36 PM

Hi Iain, Commandoes were the "Rifle Associations" of the old Boer areas. The Rifle Associations were mainly Natal units in this period. Regards Andrew

milhistry 15-10-22 05:33 AM

I have seen photos of commando officers wearing what looks to be a large tudor crown on the cap. To me it looked like a warrant officers arm badge for a company Sergeant Major rather than a staff officers crown and lion. Will need to retrieve from computer when I get a chance and upload

milhistry 10-11-22 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
C D Naude', Commandant of Lindley Commando in WW1

milhistry 10-11-22 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JA de Necker DSO

Alex Rice 10-11-22 05:32 AM

Necker is not clear but they both seem to have plain KC rank crowns as cap badges. I see a whole new market opening up...:D

milhistry 10-11-22 05:38 AM

Yes, indeed! Just like any old RAF officers' F/S cap eagle becomes a Pathfinder badge when it is for sale, every pre 1953 CSM badge may become "rare WW1 Commando badge"!

Milmed 10-11-22 10:48 AM

Early years of the UDF with lack of insignia for Commando units and even PF units. Seen many pictures c.1912 - 1914 where PF in new uniform but without any insignia, and suspect same was for Commando units. So probably anything goes for that early period.

Madziro 10-11-22 11:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just had a re-read of the section on the Defence Rifle Associations in Tylden's excellent book - The Armed Forces of South Africa. He states that the Defence Rifle Associations (Verdediging Skiet Vereniginge) were formed in 1913 to take the place of Commando units consisting of members in the age group 45 to 60. Officers attended courses at the SA Military College. The DRAs were regimented and brigaded and fought throughout the GSWA campaign in 1915. In view of this it is logical that they would have worn their DRA cap badges. Having said that, I believe that the DRA badges were in short supply at the time and so other insignia including the Tudor crown may well have been issued in lieu.

As an aside, there was a short lived General Service cap badge that was made in the UK for the SA army. I know that it was worn and wonder if it was possibly also worn by the DRAs? I have attached images of the one I have for interest.

milhistry 25-02-23 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madziro (Post 590885)
Just had a re-read of the section on the Defence Rifle Associations in Tylden's excellent book - The Armed Forces of South Africa. He states that the Defence Rifle Associations (Verdediging Skiet Vereniginge) were formed in 1913 to take the place of Commando units consisting of members in the age group 45 to 60. Officers attended courses at the SA Military College. The DRAs were regimented and brigaded and fought throughout the GSWA campaign in 1915. In view of this it is logical that they would have worn their DRA cap badges. Having said that, I believe that the DRA badges were in short supply at the time and so other insignia including the Tudor crown may well have been issued in lieu.

As an aside, there was a short lived General Service cap badge that was made in the UK for the SA army. I know that it was worn and wonder if it was possibly also worn by the DRAs? I have attached images of the one I have for interest.

I have one of those too but cast. Slightly larger than SADF era WO badge. Have not seen a photo of it being worn yet... IIRC Curzon implied it was replaced by the version where the arms is inside a garter because the horns and tails easily broke off

lifeochil 25-02-23 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madziro (Post 590885)

This badge is cast, isn't it?