British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   East Anglian Bde (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12512)

Anodisedbob 19-09-10 12:27 PM

East Anglian Bde

1 Attachment(s)
Gilt anodised collars as opposed to silver/gilt are thes a manufacturers mistake or were they worn
Bob

badjez 19-09-10 01:36 PM

East Anglian Brigade

Bob,

I believe they were made in bi-coloured ano for other ranks, and gilt & silver plate for officers. Worn by both East Anglian Brigade and Royal Anglian Regt.

Stephen.

Peter J 19-09-10 05:52 PM

Thanks for posting these Bob. May I ask whether or not the Essex Regiment would have ever worn/been issued with, A/A collars prior to their amalgamation?

Also, I know that in the very early days of the forming of the East Anglia battalions, the Royal Norfolks (as was) still wore their Britannia collars with the new East Anglia badge, but was there any such similar awkward overlapping of insignia with the Essex?

Cheers,

Peter.

Sawstonjohn 19-09-10 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are gilt and silver plate.......one a little worn

(not anodised)

Cheers

John

badjez 19-09-10 10:14 PM

East Anglian Bde

The 1st Bn, Essex Regt was supposed to have been issued the new collar badge upon reorganisation into EA Bde. According to Churchill the anodised Salamanca Eagle collar dog was worn only by the TA Bn.

Stephen.

Peter J 20-09-10 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 83212)
The 1st Bn, Essex Regt was supposed to have been issued the new collar badge upon reorganisation into EA Bde. According to Churchill the anodised Salamanca Eagle collar dog was worn only by the TA Bn.

Stephen.

Thanks for this, Stephen,

Apparently not only by the TA Bn... to use your source, Churchill also notes:

"just possibly by the Regular Battalion just prior to amalgamation in 1958."

Peter J 20-09-10 01:15 AM

I find it curious that no images of the East Anglia Battalion collars proper, feature in Churchill's... or have I simply overlooked them?

norfolk regt man 16-06-21 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 83181)
Thanks for posting these Bob. May I ask whether or not the Essex Regiment would have ever worn/been issued with, A/A collars prior to their amalgamation?

Also, I know that in the very early days of the forming of the East Anglia battalions, the Royal Norfolks (as was) still wore their Britannia collars with the new East Anglia badge, but was there any such similar awkward overlapping of insignia with the Essex?

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi, there is on eBay at the moment a royal Anglian band jacket with eagle only anodised collar badges.

bess55 16-06-21 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob, on balance I'd say that the collars are probably an error - although errors in collars generally much rarer than cap badges.

With regard to the Essex Regt Eagle collars, the TA units wore a separate larger Eagle than the smaller ones worn by the regular Bn's.

Churchill doesn't deal with Brigades individually, but there are mentions in individual regimental chapters.