British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hampshire "ORs" Pattern Officers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83553)

monty 01-03-21 10:28 AM

Hampshire "ORs" Pattern Officers

2 Attachment(s)
I gave my "T Woods" ref book away on Hampshire Regiment badges.An exmple appears in the book that is in mint condition,Ors Patt officers.I have my once bladed example in my odds album.The example shown here went through a dealers hands,Sold as just a Vic/Edw ors badge.Has anyone seen or have an example other than these three mentioned ? kind regards Gary

Keith Blakeman 01-03-21 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monty (Post 540660)
I gave my "T Woods" ref book away on Hampshire Regiment badges.An exmple appears in the book that is in mint condition,Ors Patt officers.I have my once bladed example in my odds album.The example shown here went through a dealers hands,Sold as just a Vic/Edw ors badge.Has anyone seen or have an example other than these three mentioned ? kind regards Gary

Interesting badge. The officer’s badge was a unique pattern though and different from the OR’s.

Alan O 01-03-21 01:12 PM

From memory there was one Battalion (13th?) who wore the cat and cabbage badge rather than the old North Hants badge worn by all other officers.

Luke H 01-03-21 01:16 PM

I agree with Keith, an interesting badge. Looks very pleasing and rather nice quality. Could it potentially be an NCOs item going by the construction?

Edit: hadn’t seen Alan’s post when I started typing. A plausible explanation and fitting as an officers quality item.

monty 01-03-21 03:31 PM

Hi Ref the mint example in "T Woods" book on the Hampshire regiment badges.The example in the book is I think part of Rod Floods collection.Perhaps the people on the forum on good terms with rod could ask him.The book states worn for a short period around 1900. regards Gary

monty 30-06-21 03:15 PM

Reluctance to share information

Ok this has been on here a long time now.Since I posted this tread I have sold my example to a forum member.Its a very interesting thread that is worthy of discussing.We can all keep our eyes open for officers Ors patt badges if people share info.The first comments on this thread given I could back up by a ref book,Is this really the best the forum can do?.I don`t really collect badges any more so perhaps I should not care.
kind regards Gary

monty 30-06-21 03:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was my example. regards Gary

cbuehler 30-06-21 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In this regard, I have this Northants "officer quality" badge that is similar in make to that Hampshire example.
Could these simply be private purchase items for ORs with a bit of change in their pockets?

CB

Alan O 30-06-21 06:57 PM

I agree that these are private purchased badges possibly made for the late war 'walking-out' FSC? They are not true officer quality but very interesting items.

The bladed Hants badge above is a different level of officer quality.

leigh kitchen 30-06-21 07:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Is this at all relevant? I don't think it's a cast, locally made job.
Bi metal rather than silver /gilt, it's had lugs or blades, now missing and has then been keyed somewhat violently and slider attached.

Alex Rice 01-07-21 06:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My 2p worth.
I think the Northants is an officer badge. There are lots of quality variations in the private purchase class but I really don't see an O/R buying a silver badge for walking out, he would just buff up his normal badge so it is nice and shiny.
The East Lancs looks like an Indian cast to me, the striations on the back are probably from a file of something similar used to flatten the back after casting.
I have a solid silver/gilt (gilt long gone) O/Rs pattern Cheshire Regiment cap badge which I think is a pre-star pattern officer badge.
Cheers,
Alex

monty 01-07-21 10:30 AM

Come on Alex give it your best shot,Tell them what Rod Flood told you about the hampshire officers ors pattern badge I sold you.Its for the best mate.
Kind regards Gary

monty 01-07-21 10:40 AM

OK has anyone got a copy of Terence woods - The military insignia of Hampshire & the isle of wight 1702 - 1992.Or know of someone with it.
kind regards Gary

leigh kitchen 01-07-21 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 553456)
My 2p worth.
I think the Northants is an officer badge. There are lots of quality variations in the private purchase class but I really don't see an O/R buying a silver badge for walking out, he would just buff up his normal badge so it is nice and shiny.
The East Lancs looks like an Indian cast to me, the striations on the back are probably from a file of something similar used to flatten the back after casting.
I have a solid silver/gilt (gilt long gone) O/Rs pattern Cheshire Regiment cap badge which I think is a pre-star pattern officer badge.
Cheers,
Alex

You may well be right, I could'nt make up my mind re. this one.

cbuehler 01-07-21 02:15 PM

I had considered my Northants a possible officer badge, but for what form of dress? Could never decide whether it is that or a fancy OR.

CB