British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Our Authors (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17821)

Mike 16-07-11 11:19 AM

Our Authors

Any forum members writing a book? I can add a little advert for the top right to run for a month to help it along.
I am aware of Traist and Hagwalther's work, and Peter Seaman's completed and published 'For Hostilities Only' but are there any other titles, recently published or impending?

KLR 16-07-11 11:36 AM

Yes, I'm writing one on King's Regt badges (all types, though I personally only collect cap badges) 1881-1958 (though up to '67 for various TA badges). I have a table of contents I could send to anyone interested. I'm working closely with 8thFoot and a couple of other collectors but if there is anyone else out there who has any information or photographs to contribute I would be v grateful and would fully acknowledge them.

I'm also writing one about my grandfather in the 1st WW.
Ld knows when I will finish these as part time research / writing takes ages - I can't wait to give up work in order to be able to do some work !

I'm writing two more for my day job - and my last book won the Book of the Year Award (well OK, archaeology Bk of the Yr !)

Mike 16-07-11 12:20 PM

Hi KLR, forgot about your work :o (senior moment) anyway just send me an image and what we can link to when they become available (or I can create a permanent page for them)

badjez 16-07-11 08:10 PM

Our Authors

Mike,

I'll plead to a recent publication.

'Prisoners of War in Bedfordshire' published by Amberley Publishing.
I think Amazon has them already discounted, but the blurb can be copied there for free.

Any help in increasing my percentage of sales most welcome.

Regards, Stephen.

Peter Brydon 17-07-11 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not recent but about 10 years ago I wrote a booklet " Insignia of the Kings liverpool Regiment Volunteers and Territorials"

The booklet desperately needs updating and contains a number of errors which have come to light in the intervening years but since changing my computer it seems I am now able to E mail copies of the booklet.

If anyone would like a copy please send me a PM with your E mail address and I will send you one.

P.B.

I should have said there is no charge.There is a copy for sale on Abebooks at the moment,the copy Walter Lambert had from me, for sale at £35 !!!

peter seaman 17-07-11 08:57 AM

The Leeds Rifles.

Good Morning Everyone,

Currently I am carrying out research into the Insignia and Dress Distinctions of the Leeds Rifles. Covering the period c1860 to 1967 at which date the Battalion ceased to exist and was reformed as a Company of the newly formed Yorkshire Volunteers following the reorganisation of the TA.

The result of this research will be published in a fully illustrated book, hopefully in the new year.

Contact with former members would be much appreciated.

All good wishes,

Peter

2747andy 17-07-11 09:20 AM

I plan to write a book, I have most of the images and information but just need a steer to a good publisher?

Andy

Mike 17-07-11 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 121284)
Mike,

I'll plead to a recent publication.

'Prisoners of War in Bedfordshire' published by Amberley Publishing.
I think Amazon has them already discounted, but the blurb can be copied there for free.

Any help in increasing my percentage of sales most welcome.

Regards, Stephen.

Ok, I'll experiment with yours first Stephen.:)

Mike 17-07-11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter seaman (Post 121336)
Good Morning Everyone,

Currently I am carrying out research into the Insignia and Dress Distinctions of the Leeds Rifles. Covering the period c1860 to 1967 at which date the Battalion ceased to exist and was reformed as a Company of the newly formed Yorkshire Volunteers following the reorganisation of the TA.

The result of this research will be published in a fully illustrated book, hopefully in the new year.

Contact with former members would be much appreciated.

All good wishes,

Peter

Very interesting, I'm sure it will be another excellent publication Peter, best of luck with it

peter seaman 17-07-11 08:10 PM

The Leeds Rifles

Good Evening Mike,

Thank you for your encouraging comments. The project is almost 75% done.

All good wishes,

Peter

slick_mick 17-07-11 09:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm involved in a project (with the School of Armour) about Australian Light Horse and Royal Australian Armoured Corps history, guidons, badges etc.

It's a long term project that will hopefully result in a book.

Regards,

Mick

Peter Brydon 18-07-11 08:29 AM

Apologies for being slightly off topic, but this is regarded as the best book on its subject:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOK-INFANTRY-...item484136cfcb

P.B.

badjez 18-07-11 03:44 PM

Our Authors

Mike,

Thank you. Your work looks good but everyone will need to buy a copy to see if the publication lives up to the advert...

Regards, Stephen.

pittaway 18-07-11 05:51 PM

books by forum members

4 Attachment(s)
Dear Mike,
thanks for the offer.
I have done the following two books.
private publications; not in bookshops.
only available from me.
am attaching details.
any help will be much appreciated.
regards Jonathan pittaway@iafrica.com

Mike 19-07-11 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittaway (Post 121585)
Dear Mike,
thanks for the offer.
I have done the following two books.
private publications; not in bookshops.
only available from me.
am attaching details.
any help will be much appreciated.
regards Jonathan pittaway@iafrica.com

Hi Jonathan, will add them. Will also make a list of 'books by members', then rotate them around individually on the forum index page now and again.