British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   ARMY FOUNDATION COLLEGE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71622)

engr9266 13-01-19 02:02 PM

ARMY FOUNDATION COLLEGE

Hello, I have just watched a TV program about the Army Foundation College in Harrogate and noticed that at least one of the Jnr Soldiers was wearing a blue disc behind the cap badge.
Can anyone tell me if there is different colour backing for each intake, term, etc please? If so would they be similar to the RAF apprentice backings ??

Jerry

bobanodised 13-01-19 03:56 PM

Not aware of backings, but I do know that the AFC rank slides comes with a different coloured stripe

When I was there in ‘77 it was signals only and no backing.
Bob

bobanodised 13-01-19 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just dug them out

engr9266 13-01-19 04:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Bob. The program defiantly had a Jnr solider(female) with a Blue (plastic?) backing and I have just seen a bit of ep1 s1 (June 2018)where they are wearing GREEN backings to the badge.

Jerry

Mike H 13-01-19 05:07 PM

It could be for different companies or different stages of training.
In the 80s each squadron wore a different coloured loop on the epaulettes. Green,black,blue and yellow. The champion squadron wore 1 of the sqn colour and 1 in red. Recruits wore 1 of their sqn and a white one.

54Bty 13-01-19 07:38 PM

Rank Slides;
This is what I produced in 2002 from information from the RQMS at Harrogate.
There is one with a black band, but, no explanation.
Marc

engr9266 13-01-19 11:17 PM

So looking at Mark's AFC ranks, should I presume that they have 4 different colour badge backings, one for each company??
Red, Light Blue, Dark Blue & Green

Jerry

oc14 14-01-19 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 465236)
Not aware of backings, but I do know that the AFC rank slides comes with a different coloured stripe

When I was there in ‘77 it was signals only and no backing.
Bob

Bob

were you there as an Apprentice Tradesman ?? My brother was intake 77C (Rawson Squadron) at AAC Harrogate - he finished his time there as AT RSM

PL

Mike H 14-01-19 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 465312)
Bob

were you there as an Apprentice Tradesman ?? My brother was intake 77C (Rawson Squadron) at AAC Harrogate - he finished his time there as AT RSM

PL

I remember his name on the honours board Paul. Before Brian Bingham and Paddy Mackay

bobanodised 14-01-19 07:43 AM

77C Penney Squadron, overlooking the Parade Ground!
13th September 1977

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 465312)
Bob

PL

Mike H 14-01-19 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 465316)
13th September 1977

Your showing your age now Bob . Lol.Supposedly the 2nd biggest parade ground after Pirbright.

oc14 14-01-19 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 465313)
I remember his name on the honours board Paul. Before Brian Bingham and Paddy Mackay

He was one of around only 2 or 3 AT RSMs who undertook the role for more than one term and as such his name appears on the honours board twice. he finally retired from the army (after a long and interesting career)three years ago as a Lieutenant Colonel

PL

oc14 14-01-19 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 465316)
13th September 1977

Depending on when you graduated, he probably commanded your graduation parade (he commanded both his own graduation parade and the one before that). When he graduated he was awarded The Master of Signals Award for the best all round apprentice. The College RSM was a chap by the name of Sammy Connor from the Irish Guards and the College Commandant was a chap with the unusual name of Colonel Ultan Ryan !

PL

Mike H 14-01-19 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 465329)
Depending on when you graduated, he probably commanded your graduation parade (he commanded both his own graduation parade and the one before that). When he graduated he was awarded The Master of Signals Award for the best all round apprentice. The College RSM was a chap by the name of Sammy Connor from the Irish Guards and the College Commandant was a chap with the unusual name of Colonel Ultan Ryan !

PL

He didnt,Chris Griffin commanded mine. As far as im aware nobody has heard a word from him since.
There was a guy who i served with,he did over 30 years. Im not sure if hes still in or just finished Dougie Eaglesham.
Paddy Connor and Ultan Ryan were both there when i was there. They were replaced by Lionel Bailey and a chap called Verdon ex Ulster Rifles i think. Paddy Connor came to our last Sqn reunion.
They tried to stop the more than 1 term as A/T RSM. I recall the late Dave Richards should have had it for 2 terms,he only had 1. But it could be very political, when i left the RSM was from my Sqn,as were the majority of leavers. He wasnt the best guy for the job.

engr9266 16-01-19 07:31 AM

Using 54bty rank chart I believe that the following maybe correct for AFC badge backings:-
Peninsula Coy - Red
Alamein Coy - Blue
Burma Coy - Green
Waterloo Coy - Lt Blue
These are all 42 week long course's.

There is also a 5th Coy I believe:-
Cambrei - Black backing??
Which is a shorter length of 22 weeks.
Can a member confirm if this is correct please?
I can source the red, blue & green backings but where can I get Lt Blue & Black one's?
Thank you
Jerry