British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   17th Lancers collar, worth a repair (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19491)

biffrocks 18-09-11 05:57 PM

17th Lancers collar, worth a repair

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
I have been going through some badges I've had for a while and wondered if this an older badge and worth a repair. I thought it's a collar by it's size and if anyone can let me know if I'm right that would be great.

Rob

GriffMJ 18-09-11 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rob

Yes its a collar, I think its the FIRMIN type. I have "one" and would like to make it a pair :D

biffrocks 18-09-11 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 133483)
Hi Rob

Yes its a collar, I think its the FIRMIN type. I have "one" and would like to make it a pair :D

Hi
Thanks for confirming as a collar, I am really sorry but it's not one I'm looking to get rid of. I have an Officers silver one and would like to display them together once it's repaired.

Rob

GriffMJ 19-09-11 09:58 AM

Your silver should have an "FS" Hallamark..... any chance of a good photo of the silver collar and the hallmark so it can be dated :)

biffrocks 24-09-11 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 133559)
Your silver should have an "FS" Hallamark..... any chance of a good photo of the silver collar and the hallmark so it can be dated :)

Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying to your request for the photo but I went to photograph the badge and couldn't find it, I have turned my house upside down and I have just found it again. I can't see any hallmarks but it was black when I got it and have used silver dip to get it looking like this. I have not had it tested but it looks like silver in my opinion but am happy to be corrected.

Rob

GriffMJ 24-09-11 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rob

There is a hallmark in the collar.... if you have a "macro" setting on your camera you should be able to get it :) (see below)

biffrocks 25-09-11 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 134528)
Hi Rob

There is a hallmark in the collar.... if you have a "macro" setting on your camera you should be able to get it :) (see below)

Hi
I don't own a digital camera just use the camera on my phone. I do know someone who has a jewellers eye glass so I'll have a look with that and let you know what I can read. Thanks again for taking time to post and your help and advice, it's very much appreciated.

Rob

GriffMJ 25-09-11 01:30 PM

Thanks Rob

Knowing the date and maker would be useful :) I think this type are made by J R Gaunt...... but the hallmark will confirm. I have a photo of this type being worn as early as 1920..... so your silver one could be as early :)

monty 29-08-17 04:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go Griff Gaunt example 1921.

GriffMJ 29-08-17 04:34 PM

Thanks Monty... thats a confirmation of Gaunt as the maker :)