British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New collector, first Canadian purchases (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33406)

chingoo 21-07-13 11:19 AM

New collector, first Canadian purchases

5 Attachment(s)
hello,

I have just joined the forum as I recently started collecting Canadian cap badges.

I went to the War and Peace show this week (Kent, UK) and made some purchases. Was hoping for some feedback on whether they are the real deal and a pair for identification. If people could have a look and tell me what lets them know if they are real/fake, so that I can get better at identifying for myself it would be gratefully appreciated. There is also the pair that I am not sure what they are, possibly ww1?

Thanks for your help,

Ian

p.s. if I need to ask these questions on later purchases, which thread should I post in?

chingoo 21-07-13 11:30 AM

I've just realised I posted this in the British section. Apologies. I will re-post in the Canadian section.
*** Moved.***

Bill A 21-07-13 11:36 AM

Hello Ian, Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the world of collecting Canadian badges.
Nothing of concern in the lot, they all appear to be good badges. (In general, repro's of Canadian badges have not reached the level of concern as with Brit badges, but one must be careful.) The RCAMC badge looks like a officer's service dress badge.
The unidentified badges are general list badges, worn during the First World War and early in the Second World War.
Check out the galleries (links in the upper right corner of the page under Current Projects.) I would also reccomend David Soltess'"A Collector's Guide to Canadian Army Cap Badges 1920-1952" if you are going to specialize in that era of Canadian badges.

chingoo 21-07-13 11:49 AM

Thanks a lot, good to know I'm off to a good start!

And thanks for the book recommendation, i've been looking for a while for some literature but with little success.

Bill A 21-07-13 12:45 PM

Hi Ian, It is a cd, so you can load it on a tablet or phone and have it as a reference when going to fairs / dealers. David is a member here and has the cd's.

chingoo 26-07-13 05:56 PM

Sorry for the late reply to your above message, but how do I contact David about getting one of those cd's?

DavidS 26-07-13 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chingoo (Post 221605)
Sorry for the late reply to your above message, but how do I contact David about getting one of those cd's?

You just did: it's me :p I'll send you a pm.

Pylon1357 27-07-13 02:46 AM

I am really late to this one. I could not help but notice the first badge you posted is Irish Regiment of Canada. Number 1 as it should be. LMAO.

All look fine, and as Bill stated, the RCAMC badge appears to be an Officers Service Dress variant.