British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Helmet plate (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88483)

Malcolm Davey 14-02-22 10:09 AM

Helmet plate

2 Attachment(s)
I have this Helmet plate which had no Gilt remaining

I sent it to Germany to get it fire guilded and this was the result
Well happy

Mike H 14-02-22 10:17 AM

Stunning

tonyb 14-02-22 10:56 AM

Looks a million Dollars very impressive.
Tony.

Volunteer Soldier 14-02-22 02:30 PM

Malcolm, Well done - it looks terrific. What does the rear of the plate look like?
Are you prepared to tell us more?

Home Guard 14-02-22 04:38 PM

Absolutely beautiful work!!! Would never guess it was the same badge.

Terry

magpie 14-02-22 05:02 PM

If it's the same person that did it and I was told there was only one he charged something like £20-5 per Sq inch about 5 years ago.

grenadierguardsman 14-02-22 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey (Post 572629)
I have this Helmet plate which had no Gilt remaining

I sent it to Germany to get it fire guilded and this was the result
Well happy

Have you got the details of the place/person you got this done ? Ive some stuff i'd like redoing.
Andy

Malcolm Davey 14-02-22 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volunteer Soldier (Post 572653)
Malcolm, Well done - it looks terrific. What does the rear of the plate look like?
Are you prepared to tell us more?

Its not in my hands at the mo on its way back from Germany.

Malcolm Davey 15-02-22 12:03 AM

Here is the address
Mr Dirk Meyer
Fire gilding studio
Neppen 1
D-88167
Maierhofen
Germany

Ask for a quote before you send as large pieces can be expensive

altcar73 15-02-22 11:15 AM

Take care in sending anything to Germany (or any other EU country). Ensure that the guy there, when returning the item completes an accurate customs declaration. If its not correctly completed the item is likely to be detained by the Border Force pending payment of VAT and duty. Even if it is correctly completed there may be a bill to pay. Plus Royal Mail/Parcelforce my want £12 from you for handling the process.

If they say its vatable you will HAVE to pay to get the item and argue later. Appealing is a tortuous process not for the faint hearted. I have bitter experience. I got some cash back but not all and it took months. Forewarned is forearmed!

Dave.

magpie 15-02-22 11:47 AM

Hello Malcolm, Assuming you don't have to pay any customs duty how much did this cost to have done with postage both ways etc.

It would also be nice to see the completed badge when you receive it.

grenadierguardsman 15-02-22 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey (Post 572707)
Here is the address
Mr Dirk Meyer
Fire gilding studio
Neppen 1
D-88167
Maierhofen
Germany

Ask for a quote before you send as large pieces can be expensive

Thanks Malcolm.
Andy

grenadierguardsman 15-02-22 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 572733)
Take care in sending anything to Germany (or any other EU country). Ensure that the guy there, when returning the item completes an accurate customs declaration. If its not correctly completed the item is likely to be detained by the Border Force pending payment of VAT and duty. Even if it is correctly completed there may be a bill to pay. Plus Royal Mail/Parcelforce my want £12 from you for handling the process.

If they say its vatable you will HAVE to pay to get the item and argue later. Appealing is a tortuous process not for the faint hearted. I have bitter experience. I got some cash back but not all and it took months. Forewarned is forearmed!

Dave.

Thanks Dave.
Andy

manchesters 15-02-22 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 572735)
Hello Malcolm, Assuming you don't have to pay any customs duty how much did this cost to have done with postage both ways etc.

It would also be nice to see the completed badge when you receive it.

I too would be interested in how much it has cost in total, with having some of my plates that could be done.

regards

manchesters 18-02-22 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 572788)
I too would be interested in how much it has cost in total, with having some of my plates that could be done.

regards

Malcolm,

Any chance of an answer to the questions re price.

regards