British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   POLICE MERIT BADGE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61897)

mjw 14-05-17 12:17 PM

Hello Dave.

I have had another look and now I am sure Simon is correct. Having put the two obverses together it is not possible for me to be clear about EDVII or GV busts. The darker colours of the ribbon also favours Simons attribution.

I think both my attempts have been wrong – sorry for muddying the waters!

Kind regards, Malcolm.

altcar73 14-05-17 12:43 PM

Malcolm,

No problem. You got there in the end with a nudge from Simon!

Dave.

manchesters 14-05-17 12:58 PM

Malcolm,

If EVIIR the monarchs head would be facing right (as you look at it) and from what i can see the monarchs head is facing left, so I am more inclined to think the 1911 Coronation.

regards

manchesters 14-05-17 12:59 PM

Dave,

A lovely display to which you can now add a pair of WM Kings Crowns as collar badges.

The CC's Helmet Plate would be appear to be quite rare if you havent got it!

regards

altcar73 14-05-17 01:45 PM

Simon,

Thank you! I think the CC's helmet plate is probably a generic military back plate with a small Canterbury shield affixed to the centre on (perhaps) a black velvet backing. All the parts being silver plated before assembly. The chances of finding the original is probably "nil", but making up a look alike is doable.

Cheers, Dave.

dpk 01-02-20 03:57 AM

British Police Merit Badges (metal and embroidered)

Hello All,
Am writing a book on medals and awards to British Police by local authorities (Counties, Cities & Boroughs) and would like to learn more about the 'Merit badges' issued by a number of forces. these were both metal and embroidered types, some for true 'Meritorious Conduct' including Bravery) and also some for achieving what was known as 'Merit Class' (exams, experience & length of service to gain designation as 'Merit Class' with extra pay etc).

Any info or images most welcome- please help!!

David (dpk@iinet.net.au)

dpk 01-02-20 05:34 AM

Police Merit Badges- metal and embroidered

2 Attachment(s)
I am writing a book on medals & awards issued to UK police by local authorities- Counties, Cities & Boroughs. Any info and images most welcome- in particular the 'Merit badges' Issued for both 'Meritorious Conduct' (including bravery sometimes) and also for achieving 'Merit Class' (a system where officers moved up through 'classes' based on exams, experience and time servied to reach 'Merit Class'. This gave them various pay rises etc and when they achieved 'Merit Class' were often given a badge to wear- either metal or often embroidered.

Couple of examples shown....

Seeking any info and images!

David (dpk@iinet.net.au)

Wooffy 25-03-20 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just seen these badges listed as Victorian Lancaster City Police Badges - available here

manchesters 25-03-20 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooffy (Post 503973)
Just seen these badges listed as Victorian Lancaster City Police Badges - available here

Nice badges, but a bit pricey!!

regards

Wooffy 25-03-20 03:27 PM

I thought the same - but figured it was worth adding to the thread

manchesters 25-03-20 03:37 PM

Yes, nice badges, although not sure what the WM Lancaster coat of arms is?

Cap badge perhaps, Dave will know.

regards

altcar73 25-03-20 07:38 PM

Hi Gents,

These badges have been continually re-listed by the seller for about the last two years now, with no takers. The metal "shield" is the centre of the helmet plate. It was occasionally worn as a cap badge. The merit badges are "generic" and turn up from time to time. All Very, very overpriced!

Dave.