British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   10th Hussars with Lugs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86748)

bess55 06-10-21 09:57 AM

10th Hussars with Lugs

3 Attachment(s)
Gents, I was very kindly pointed towards this anodised 10th Hussars cap badge by a fellow forum member and good friend.

A two piece construction, its an unusual beast having lugs on the rear. The round loops appear to be slightly 'squared off' by design. Suspect this may be for the Other Ranks Torrin side cap?

Any info or observations greatly received folks.

Regards all

Bess

Mike H 06-10-21 03:44 PM

Nice badge mate,appears to be all present and correct. I agree ,unusual to be fitted with lugs. I dont recall coming across one previously.
My thought would be side hat ,i know a number of badges that normally have sliders that are fitted with lugs and are listed as sidehat badges.

Luke H 06-10-21 04:55 PM

I’ve no idea about AA’s but I notice it has the die flaw below the D of Dein which is found on a myriad of metal repros from Welsh Regt, V.B.’s, Caernavon & Denbigh Hussars, 12L, 10H etc.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...t=39448&page=4

bess55 06-10-21 05:14 PM

Thanks Luke. It really doesnt have the feel of a reproduction or copy of an anodised badge. Most fakes are fairlyq well know and I've never seen this before. Its of perfectly normal quality for an anodised badge.

However I accept your die flaw knowledge, so who knows, could be suspect after all? If its a copy or 'made up' someone has gone to a lot of effort to produce a high quality anodised badge that is in itself rare . . .

Luke H 06-10-21 05:21 PM

Could it be the AA die was latterly used to make metal repros. Sadly I don’t know enough about AA manufacturing methods but that may be another possibility.

My only other comment would be it appears to be of tagged construction which must be usual for AA? Also those loops look quite long (and metallic) like the C&D repros.

bess55 06-10-21 05:42 PM

No the.lugs are fine, its all 100% anodised. They are longer than usual and as I said flattened at the end a little which looks on purpose.

Mike H 06-10-21 05:43 PM

The tagged scroll can be found on the 2.piece Duke of Boots anodised cap badge.

Alan O 06-10-21 05:45 PM

What ever it is, it's not an issued badge. It's either repro or made privately.

Alan

bess55 06-10-21 06:03 PM

Its odd that another hasnt turned to my knowledge. Could be one of those 'ordered by the regiment' type things like a lot of the arm badges were. Although this is most definately not an Azam brothers effort - its like a regular anodised badge. Its not a thick guage like a lot of the well know fakes, so its a bit of an unkown entity really. Its certainley not a known issued type to my knowledge, but there are other examples like it too.

GriffMJ 06-10-21 06:31 PM

.... I have a plated silver/gilt collar with a clutch and pin fitting of the same POWFS? (no 10H scroll though)

Mike H 07-10-21 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 561588)
.... I have a plated silver/gilt collar with a clutch and pin fitting of the same POWFS? (no 10H scroll though)

Possibly Kings Royal Hussars Griff. They wear the old 10th Hussars collars.

bobanodised 07-10-21 10:05 AM

Badge

Not seen this variation before. Good find
Bob

bess55 07-10-21 02:05 PM

Not 100% what it is, but its well made.

Phillip Herring 07-10-21 05:00 PM

Could it have been worn on a waist belt plate?

bess55 07-10-21 06:27 PM

I did initially consider that Phil, but the lugs are too long really for the usual type of belt plate buckle anyway. Possibly a pouch? I'll have to consult my copy of Linakers . . .

Mike H 07-10-21 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Herring (Post 561683)
Could it have been worn on a waist belt plate?

Did they wear a belt ? The KRH dont. I dont know which regt that came from.

ukbrits 13-10-21 04:21 PM

Hi Bess,
This a cracking 100% genuine item....a great find. This badge is either a very early issue or a trial pattern perhaps the Colonels did not like.

Whatever it is it's a bloody good find! Just because it's different to the normal badge which is slidered does not mean by any means it's a fake.

In my experience there are variations on a theme, eg The Royal Green Jackets had an a/a badge with a slider & lugs so did the Coldstream & Grenadier Guards, Queens own Mercian Yeomanry, Royal Scots Greys & Royal Armoured Corps.... I'm sure if I had the time I could name a few more!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your scarce find.
Best Regards
Colin

Mike H 13-10-21 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbrits (Post 562249)

In my experience there are variations on a theme, eg The Royal Green Jackets had an a/a badge with a slider & lugs so did the Coldstream & Grenadier Guards, Queens own Mercian Yeomanry, Royal Scots Greys & Royal Armoured Corps.... I'm sure if I had the time I could name a few more!

I have the RGJ in black and silver with lugs. The Mercian Yeomanry with lugs is described by the IWM as for being for the side hat. There was one that i hadnt come across which was the Gloucestershire Hussars . Oddly,the slider version was described as for the side hat and the lugged as the cap badge. Yet you only see the slidered version.
The Grenadier and Coldstream were late patterns by London Badge. Id read that the reason they were lugged was that the Guards felt the slidered badges moved in the cap/beret.