British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   M N shoulder title. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64746)

High Wood 10-10-17 11:57 AM

M N shoulder title.

2 Attachment(s)
My first thought was that this M N brass shoulder title was worn by personnel of the Merchant Navy. My second thought was that the Merchant Navy didn't wear shoulder titles. So any other thoughts on who wore this title would be appreciated.

norfolk regt man 10-10-17 02:02 PM

I thought that too, so would also like to know if different .

Luc 10-10-17 07:14 PM

I know nothing about the Merchant Navy, but that's how these are described all over the world wide web! I also found an ebay auction from 2015 where an embroidered set was sold, I did not see any red flags.

High Wood 10-10-17 07:56 PM

Luc,

many thanks. I really was unaware that the Merchant Navy wore shoulder titles.

Simon

Alex Rice 11-10-17 05:02 AM

Never heard of the Merchant Navy wearing titles, nor seen it in old photos. I think that's just a convenient answer which I believe is wrong.
Cheers,
Alex

High Wood 11-10-17 07:48 AM

Alex,

thank you for confirming my doubts,

Simon

sailorbear 12-01-19 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 423820)
My first thought was that this M N brass shoulder title was worn by personnel of the Merchant Navy. My second thought was that the Merchant Navy didn't wear shoulder titles. So any other thoughts on who wore this title would be appreciated.

This is an old post I know, but I came accross it and thought I'd give a definative answer!

These brass shoulder titles were worn by trainee ratings undertaking training at the National Sea Training School Gravesend and were worn on navy blue battledress tunics and later (in the 1980's) on a blue NATO sweater. Woven shoulder titles red on navy blue, gold on navy blue and light blue on navy blue were also worn.

hope this is of interest?

Regards

Tony

54Bty 12-01-19 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorbear (Post 465120)
This is an old post I know, but I came accross it and thought I'd give a definative answer!

These brass shoulder titles were worn by trainee ratings undertaking training at the National Sea Training School Gravesend and were worn on navy blue battledress tunics and later (in the 1980's) on a blue NATO sweater. Woven shoulder titles red on navy blue, gold on navy blue and light blue on navy blue were also worn.

hope this is of interest?

Regards

Tony

That is very interesting, but what do the letters mean.

Marc

Destro1918 12-01-19 03:46 PM

M N

M N = Merchant Navy, If you Google National Sea Training School you can find images of the titles been worn.

Regards

54Bty 12-01-19 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destro1918 (Post 465133)
M N = Merchant Navy, If you Google National Sea Training School you can find images of the titles been worn.

Regards

Thank you, I do not need to change the annotation of mine from Merchant Navy.

Marc :)