British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   9th Batn HLI Glasgo Highlanders (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74634)

yorkstone 20-07-19 10:30 PM

9th Batn HLI Glasgo Highlanders

2 Attachment(s)
9th Battalion HLI Glasgow Highlanders picked this up this week it appears original it has a stout pin and safety chain attachment to the rear.

Is this adaptation for changing from Different head gear or just for Sweetheart badge purposes.

I have come across the pin adaptation for Regimental purposes before and was wondering if forum members had any thoughts.

Regards

Stephen

cbuehler 21-07-19 12:23 AM

Besides officer badges, it is my belief that some badges were made with brooch fittings at the preference of some soldiers. I have several older Scottish OR badges with this type of fitting. It obviated the need for a split pin and made removal for polishing much easier.
Some, like the London Scottish and Tyneside Scottish are commonly found with these brooch fittings.

CB

Alex Rice 21-07-19 03:54 PM

Althoiugh I agree with what CB has said, I would think this has been adapted as a sweetheart brooch. The little ring at the base of the badge is typical of the fitting for a safety chain on a sweetheart brooch to stop it from being lost if the brooch fitting comes loose.
Cheers,
Alex

Frank Kelley 21-07-19 06:46 PM

I don't think that I have ever seen a rankers Tyneside Scottish from it's manufacturer with a pin like the example shown in the original post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 484087)
Besides officer badges, it is my belief that some badges were made with brooch fittings at the preference of some soldiers. I have several older Scottish OR badges with this type of fitting. It obviated the need for a split pin and made removal for polishing much easier.
Some, like the London Scottish and Tyneside Scottish are commonly found with these brooch fittings.

CB

yorkstone 21-07-19 07:29 PM

Thank you alll for your comments it’s a nice badge, but would make a mighty big sweetheart’s badge.

A good example for the collection though so happy to have acquired it.

Regards to all

Stephen

Frank Kelley 22-07-19 04:13 PM

It would certainly make a most unusual sweetheart badge for that very reason!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 484125)
Thank you alll for your comments it’s a nice badge, but would make a mighty big sweetheart’s badge.

A good example for the collection though so happy to have acquired it.

Regards to all

Stephen

cbuehler 22-07-19 08:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 484119)
I don't think that I have ever seen a rankers Tyneside Scottish from it's manufacturer with a pin like the example shown in the original post.

Here is mine. I have seen others as well. Cheers, CB

yorkstone 22-07-19 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
CB and here is my example also though a much stronger pin than my HLI badge and almost the twin of yours

Regards

Stephen

Frank Kelley 22-07-19 10:08 PM

Perfectly normal, but, very different than the pin in the original post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 484181)
Here is mine. I have seen others as well. Cheers, CB

Tinto 22-07-19 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 484165)
It would certainly make a most unusual sweetheart badge for that very reason!

I remember a lady who proudly wore a silver Black Watch cap badge. It was well polished and had very few details.

Frank Kelley 23-07-19 04:20 AM

would think she certainly got noticed, still, certainly cheaper than buying a silver or gold brooch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 484196)
I remember a lady who proudly wore a silver Black Watch cap badge. It was well polished and had very few details.