British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sleeve Eagles? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43309)

Alex Rice 09-12-14 01:52 PM

Sleeve Eagles?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I picked up this lovely pair of sleeve eagles a while ago but have some questions... I've never seen sleeve eagles with screw posts and backing plates before, are they possibly for something else rather than the standard sleeve badges? They are the same size as the standard lugged eagles.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex

arrestingu 09-12-14 02:18 PM

Scarce 3 bolt RNAS , WW1 pilots cuff eagles !! Three bolt varities are early , RAF 1918 tend to be two bolt varities ...very nice , think worth about £125 + these days...maybe a little more on a good day !!
best wishes
Steve

Alex Rice 10-12-14 05:55 AM

:eek: Wow, thanks for that info Steve, that's great news!!!
Cheers,
Alex

GTB 10-12-14 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrestingu (Post 289197)
Scarce 3 bolt RNAS , WW1 pilots cuff eagles !! Three bolt varities are early , RAF 1918 tend to be two bolt varities ...very nice , think worth about £125 + these days...maybe a little more on a good day !!
best wishes
Steve

Hi, if I may?
This post is intriguing as I may now be able to positively i.d. my own pieces.
I am posting a 3-pronged eagle (lower badge) and a 2-pronged version (upper badge w component pieces). I take it that the lower is the RNAS cuff eagle as mentioned?
The upper is obviously an officers side cap badge, but would this 2-prong version minus the crown stand in for an early RAF cuff eagle?

GTB

arrestingu 10-12-14 09:53 AM

the three post is RNAS .....Otherwise its hard to say from your pictures , WW1 RAF cuff eagles were produced with two posts...gaunt were the most stylish slightly curved with heavy gilt, early eagles tended to be 3d without a notch in the tail...see eagles recalled by Warren Carrol.
if it came with the three post from source I would lean towards WW1.
best wishes
steve

dragon166 11-12-14 12:28 AM

The RAF arm eagle consisted of the eagle AND a crown, only the RNAS wore it without one. Furthermore there were other uses for the RAF arm badge. It was worn above the rank braid for Officers and on the upper arm of RAF Warrant Officers (until the worsted badge was introduced) when they still wore Officers cap badges.

GTB 28-09-16 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 289295)
Hi, if I may?
This post is intriguing as I may now be able to positively i.d. my own pieces.
I am posting a 3-pronged eagle (lower badge) and a 2-pronged version (upper badge w component pieces). I take it that the lower is the RNAS cuff eagle as mentioned?
The upper is obviously an officers side cap badge, but would this 2-prong version minus the crown stand in for an early RAF cuff eagle?

GTB

Here is an enlarged pic

Badge 20-07-19 12:23 AM

Eagles

I have left facing eagle. It is die struck and has two loops for a cotter pin. I an trying to find out if it is RNAS or RAF and is it ww 1 or ww 2. Looked at Warren Carroll's Book Eagles Recalled and couldn't find anything, all references deal with screw posts and pin backs. When did they issue eagles with loops with cotter pins?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Badger

grumpy 20-07-19 04:44 PM

I am no expert but I think they are split pins, not cotter pins.

WIKTIONARY
Cotter Pin:
(US) A split pin, the ends of which project through an object being fastened and are bent back to hold it in place.
(Britain) A pin or wedge inserted through a slot to hold machine parts together; a cotter.

akiko 20-07-19 08:46 PM

A split pin is a cotter pin.

grumpy 20-07-19 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akiko (Post 484077)
A split pin is a cotter pin.

therefore a cotter pin is a split pin.

leigh kitchen 20-07-19 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is the sort of pin of which only one leg is inserted through an object and the other is crimped, bent so as to hold the inserted leg in place a cotter pin?

dragon166 20-07-19 09:33 PM

Badge
The badge you have is a RAF aircrew arm eagle. It was introduced in 1950 on the demise of the Aircrew Ranking System (Star & Garter Badges). It is worn by Sergeants and Flight Sergeants above their rank stripes and by Master Aircrew on their Rank Badge. They are worn in pairs with the Eagle facing to the wearers rear. Therefore your Eagle is for the right arm. It can be found in gilding metal/brass and in Anodised Aluminium. It is still in use today.
Dave

mike_vee 21-07-19 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 484080)
Is the sort of pin of which only one leg is inserted through an object and the other is crimped, bent so as to hold the inserted leg in place a cotter pin?

Described as 'hairpin cotter' or 'R-clip'.

Uses - "Button attachment (brass buttons on certain military, railroad, and other uniform jackets)"

leigh kitchen 21-07-19 07:20 AM

Ta, I thought they types are "cotters".