British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   National flowers & emblems (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22696)

badjez 04-02-12 01:52 PM

National flowers & emblems

From before 1900 all ranks in Irish Regiments, together with Irishmen serving in other regiments, were authorised to wear a sprig of shamrock in their headdress on St. Patrick’s Day.
National flowers and emblems have since been extended:
St. George’s Day (Rose) by English units
St. Andrew’s Day (Thistle) by Scottish units
St. David’s Day (Leek) by Welsh units
All units are permitted to wear a Poppy upon Remembrance Sunday.

Can anyone please let me know when each of these ornamentations wre first authorised?

Many thanks, Stephen.

ebro 04-02-12 02:11 PM

Stephen,
I can't answer your questions, but in the 1990's when the Royal Irish Rangers were based in Cyprus they very nearly didn't wear their Shamrock on St Patrick's day.
The Cypriot customs officers impounded a consignment of unknown plants as suspected drugs.
Only after hectic diplomatic negotiations were they released , and the parade went ahead as planned.
Eddie

ANGLE IRON 04-02-12 02:22 PM

The Suffolks and later 1 Royal Anglian wear red and yellow roses on minden day, Aug 1st each year , I think the Hampshires wore roses on minden day too?

41st 04-02-12 08:13 PM

Welshmen were wearing the leek during Glyndwyr's revolt against the Sais and while serving with Henry V.
I believe it makes it the oldest recognised military symbol in Britain for native troops.

badjez 22-05-12 09:37 PM

National flowers and emblems

I've now found the answer to my own question.

01.05.18. Army Council Instruction 150: Amended King’s Regulations para.1693, extending the authorisation for national flowers or emblems to be worn by soldiers on their headdress on specified days (previously this had been restricted to St. Patrick’s Day only):
St. David’s Day- Welsh units
St. Patrick’s Day- Irish units
St. George’s Day- English units
St Andrew’s Day- Scottish units.
These emblems were also permitted to be worn by English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh soldiers serving in other units.

Thanks for previous contributions.
Stephen.

leigh kitchen 13-06-21 05:53 PM

Hansard, 1913, mentions St George's Day Roses, St Patrick's Day shamrock etc:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/common...aringOfTheRose)

Toby Purcell 13-06-21 08:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
There was quite a row at one point concerning the Royal Munster Fusiliers wearing a Shamrock on an item of their uniform as a permanent embellishment, if I recall correctly, and it led to ‘questions in the House’ that are recorded in Hansard. Interestingly although all regiments have shamrocks on their colours as part of the long standing Union wreath (formed from all the National symbols), the RMF were I think the only infantry regiment to feature the shamrock as a discrete emblem on their regimental colour (and drum emblazons). The item of uniform concerned was eventually settled as the drab khaki service dress cap with the emblem in the form of green felt, and one of the regular battalions also wore it as a flash, combined with a shoulder title, on the side of their Wolseley helmets in a hot weather station (India I think). It seems to have been more associated with the 1st Battalion than the 2nd and not all units of the regiment followed the practice.

Peter Brydon 14-06-21 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Taken to the extreme by Pipers of the Liverpool Irish post WW2, the aluminium badge backing ( left of picture) were made in Cammell Lairds shipyard by a member of the battalion who worked there.

P.

grumpy 14-06-21 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 168375)
I've now found the answer to my own question.

01.05.18. Army Council Instruction 150: Amended King’s Regulations para.1693, extending the authorisation for national flowers or emblems to be worn by soldiers on their headdress on specified days (previously this had been restricted to St. Patrick’s Day only):
St. David’s Day- Welsh units
St. Patrick’s Day- Irish units
St. George’s Day- English units
St Andrew’s Day- Scottish units.
These emblems were also permitted to be worn by English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh soldiers serving in other units.

Thanks for previous contributions.
Stephen.

Thank you. It is rather unusual for ACIs to amend KRs. That was normally done via Army Orders. Please could you post a scan, or confirm that AOs were not mentioned?
The usual hierarchy was that KRs/QRs laid down the regulations, AOs amended them, sometimes by Royal Warrant, and the Army Council chipped in [in small print] to say how AOs were to be interpreted.

grumpy 15-06-21 05:41 PM

Please?

grey_green_acorn 15-06-21 05:47 PM

Unfortunately member badjez is no longer with us.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=Badjez

Tim

Luke H 15-06-21 06:50 PM

Not wishing to distract from the topic but I do know a while ago there was some mention, I think by JT, of some sort of mark of remembrance and possible alteration to avatar/profile for members who have passed to make it apparent.

Sadly it feels that in the last 3 or 4 years quite a few regular contributors have passed away. If others feel this is a good idea I could start a thread to ask the admin/mods what might be possible and revisit this idea?

Toby Purcell 15-06-21 09:59 PM

I think that’s a good idea Luke.

Hawthorn 16-06-21 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 552285)
Not wishing to distract from the topic but I do know a while ago there was some mention, I think by JT, of some sort of mark of remembrance and possible alteration to avatar/profile for members who have passed to make it apparent.

Sadly it feels that in the last 3 or 4 years quite a few regular contributors have passed away. If others feel this is a good idea I could start a thread to ask the admin/mods what might be possible and revisit this idea?

Luke,

Very good idea in my opinion and one I hope we can pursue as a Forum.

Simon.

grumpy 16-06-21 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 552277)
Unfortunately member badjez is no longer with us.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=Badjez

Tim

Thank you.

Its a bugger, as they say.