British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   NORTHERN/RHODESIA shoulder title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59514)

Tinto 23-01-17 06:28 PM

NORTHERN/RHODESIA shoulder title

Hello African badge experts,

I'm interested in this Northern Rhodesia shoulder title.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTHERN-R...3D192075953607

What period was it worn and who by?

Thanks, Tinto

Tinto 24-01-17 03:22 PM

Bump

zob 24-01-17 04:50 PM

I have always understood this to be a Second World War pattern, but as with all these things could have had a bit more longevity in its usage.

Zob.

Tinto 24-01-17 05:58 PM

Hi Zob,

Thanks for your reply. Cox shows this title in Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18 (page 141) but it's not clear who wore it.

Cheers, Tinto

sapper533 24-01-17 07:20 PM

I always thought it was worn by the Northern Rhodesia Regiment, the Northern Rhodesia Rifles wearing the title NRR.
But now you've asked I can't think of any reference off hand.
Cheers
Sean

Tinto 24-01-17 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper533 (Post 391503)
I always thought it was worn by the Northern Rhodesia Regiment, the Northern Rhodesia Rifles wearing the title NRR.
But now you've asked I can't think of any reference off hand.
Cheers
Sean

Hi Sean,

That was my first thought too. It would be good to have confirmation.

Cheers, tinto

zob 25-01-17 12:28 AM

Hi,

Yes – according to The Story of the Northern Rhodesia Regiment this shoulder title was worn by that regiment. However, if the regimental history is to be believed then, as with many other inclusions in Cox’s “for the most part” quite excellent book - it was not worn during the Great War as the Northern Rhodesia Regiment didn’t come into existence until 1933. Prior to this date they were known as the Northern Rhodesia Police and therefore wore the NRP shoulder title in brass.

Regards,

Zob.

Tinto 25-01-17 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zob (Post 391561)
Hi,

Yes – according to The Story of the Northern Rhodesia Regiment this shoulder title was worn by that regiment. However, if the regimental history is to be believed then, as with many other inclusions in Cox’s “for the most part” quite excellent book - it was not worn during the Great War as the Northern Rhodesia Regiment didn’t come into existence until 1933. Prior to this date they were known as the Northern Rhodesia Police and therefore wore the NRP shoulder title in brass.

Regards,

Zob.

Thank you Zob, for this clarification. Much appreciated.

Regards, Tinto

Brit Rocker 19-11-17 10:28 AM

Hi Tinto,
I am new to the forum and tried to look at the old ebay listing but no pictures. There are 2 types of brass shoulder tabs for the Northern Rhodesia Regiment.
If it is the curved type (Downward Curved Northern on Top and upward curved Rhodesia on the bottom) then this is the WW2 variant.
If it is the straight Northern over Rhodesia, this is the post war Queens crown variant.
Hope this helps, I have both versions in my Grandfathers effects.

Madziro 23-11-17 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This may help.

Tinto 24-11-17 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brit Rocker (Post 427989)
Hi Tinto,
I am new to the forum and tried to look at the old ebay listing but no pictures. There are 2 types of brass shoulder tabs for the Northern Rhodesia Regiment.
If it is the curved type (Downward Curved Northern on Top and upward curved Rhodesia on the bottom) then this is the WW2 variant.
If it is the straight Northern over Rhodesia, this is the post war Queens crown variant.
Hope this helps, I have both versions in my Grandfathers effects.

Hi Brit Rocker, and Madziro,

Thanks for your inputs. The first post was a link to the WW2 variant, curved NORTHERN/straight RHODESIA.

Cheers, Tinto