British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I'm sure someone will know! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85007)

Waterloo1815 21-05-21 03:45 PM

I'm sure someone will know!

1 Attachment(s)
Found these two small brass insignia amongst my dad's WW2 belongings, but I've no idea what they are?

Phil2M 21-05-21 03:48 PM

They are from shoulder titles/collars. They stand for 'Territorial'. An example of a complete title being something like 'T 6 Kings'

Waterloo1815 21-05-21 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 550273)
They are from shoulder titles/collars. They stand for 'Territorial'. An example of a complete title being something like 'T 6 Kings'

Yes, he did join up with the Territorials in 1940.
That clears that up, many thanks.

Peter Brydon 21-05-21 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are the letters worn below their collars badges by Territorial officers.

P.

Waterloo1815 21-05-21 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 550279)
They are the letters worn below their collars badges by Territorial officers.

P.

Well in that case my dad must have pinched them as he only made Corporal!
But thanks for the additional info.

CAM 21-05-21 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterloo1815 (Post 550282)
Well in that case my dad must have pinched them as he only made Corporal!
But thanks for the additional info.

:D

dumdum 22-05-21 10:53 AM

Terriers?

Territorials were called "terriers" during WW1 I believe but was this a term that was not liked by them or did they own it with pride?:confused:

I have a T/ 5/ LF shoulder title in one of the middens with the arms of the "T" broken off. I was told that this was because the soldiers resented this title.

Also with this came a cap badge that didn't have the "Egypt" legend. This puzzled me until a guy told me that this was for the Territorial Btns.

The cap badge is a genuine one and could be available to an interested party. PM me if you are keen!:)

leigh kitchen 22-05-21 01:06 PM

During WW1 some TF battalions were duplicated, so instead of just a "5th Bn" there would be the "1st/5th Bn", "2nd/5th Bn" etc.

In some units the "T" on the shoulder titles was adapted to represent a "1" to indicate the "original" TF Battalion.

Home Guard 22-05-21 03:04 PM

Could they also be he "T" badge worn in he corners of the tippet of a TANS nurse?

Terry

dumdum 24-05-21 10:23 AM

Hi Terry and Leigh

Many thanks for your replies. The shoulder title came with a standard T/5/LF mate that had not been "attacked". I traded the unmutilated one but probably still have the other somewhere.

I've had a couple of requests for photos of the cap badge with its blank scroll that came with this lot so I'll post these at a later date. I gather that there are quite a few "duds" of this badge so a badge with provenance is, I believe, of some interest.

dumdum 29-05-21 07:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Following a couple of PM requests, here is my Lancashire Fusiliers TF badge. The shoulder title has gone somewhere but I think that most were keen to see the badge.

I'm learning that badge collecting can be a real headache, but I can vouch for this one as it was stuck on a leather belt with some other items.

I don't really collect British badges so if anyone was to approach me nicely....:)

dumdum 29-05-21 07:10 AM

RWF badge

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another badge from the same source as the LF badge. I'm told that the cut slider was for wear with a pugaree but have no further idea. Were all these badges bi-metal?

Again, anyone interested can PM me!

wardog 29-05-21 11:35 AM

Thanks for the post 11 images- from what I can see I have a match. Regards, Paul.

dumdum 30-05-21 07:08 AM

Hi Paul

Glad that it was what you wanted. I thought that the Forum could benefit from the photo and hopefully avoid some expensive mistakes!

I'm sorting through some odd British badges that I no longer need and this is one of them.

dumdum 02-06-21 06:15 AM

RWF badge

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 550809)
Here is another badge from the same source as the LF badge. I'm told that the cut slider was for wear with a pugaree but have no further idea. Were all these badges bi-metal?

Again, anyone interested can PM me!

Any thoughts on the cut slider and/ or the bi-metal badge? I would guess that there was a WW1 economy version.