British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown RAF reg patch (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64524)

RAFaircadet 26-09-17 06:45 PM

Unknown RAF reg patch

Cannot find this online does anyone know what it is?

54Bty 26-09-17 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFaircadet (Post 422115)
Cannot find this online does anyone know what it is?

An image may help.

Marc

RAFaircadet 26-09-17 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woops

wardog 26-09-17 08:10 PM

Deleated

wardog 26-09-17 08:13 PM

Could have an RAF Regiment connection, but doubt it is an official badge. Snowdrop 68 might know. Regards, Paul. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=368

fougasse1940 26-09-17 09:07 PM

Odd that it is supposed to be RAF, as the crossed rifles are associated with the army and it features a naval crown, yet nothing associated with the RAF.

Rgds, Thomas.

54Bty 26-09-17 09:21 PM

The central design is that of the RAF Regiment and is worn by those not in a specific Squadron.
Possibly used as a generic badge in a similar way to the various other Union Flag badges that are in abundance.
Could also be one of the "I can make some money from this" type of badge.

Marc

Harlequin 29-09-17 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 422143)
it features a naval crown, yet nothing associated with the RAF..

Incorrect. That is a proper astral crown, specifically created from wings and stars. Always has been associated with the RAF, RAF Regt, RAuxAF and the ATC. Also used by the Civil Air Guard, I believe, during the inter-war 1930s, or earlier.

A nautical crown is created from tall-ship sails and masts, and doesn't look anything like this one.

My suspicion is that this is an unofficial melange badge, of a type generically referred to as a "morale patch".

Odd conjunctions such as the RAF cap-badge superimposed upon the RAF tactical recognition tricolour are now appearing (I'll post an image).

I view these as being a commercial reaction to there being too much under-utilised velco/hook-and-loop that now adorns MTP/UBACS combat clothing and Molle webbing. It also resonates with the weird partial convergence that seems to have emerged between the real military, and paintballers (who are now taking their cues ever-more strongly from POV RPGs such as 'Call Of Duty' crossed with semi-fictional depictions of USSF personnel and sci-fi soldiers).

Bring back khaki BDs and '37 webbing, I say....

cga00 29-09-17 05:27 AM

Not something I've come across before, but maybe something to do with the Nijmegan marches?
Craig

NEMO 29-09-17 09:23 AM

R.A.F shooting team in a European competition ???

MarkGD 29-09-17 11:17 AM

As Above

Looks like RAF Shooting Team to me, as NEMO says, probably for competitions abroad. There are a number of Service Teams that travel to Canada, US, Middle East etc each year. Highly likely to have been made for such a purpose, small number produced, i move in shooting circles but 'not seen' by me.

Snowdrop 68 29-09-17 12:43 PM

I'll email the image, if that's OK, to the Regt section here at Coningsby and see if any of them know what it is....although it is Friday afteroon ;)

Bill

54Bty 29-09-17 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 (Post 422472)
I'll email the image, if that's OK, to the Regt section here at Coningsby and see if any of them know what it is....although it is Friday afternoon ;)

Bill

And they all went home yesterday.

Where you bin, Bill?

Marc

Snowdrop 68 02-10-17 03:06 PM

Guys,

my email has now been forwarded to the RAF Regt depot to another couple of mates to see if they know what this is, none of the guys at Coningsby know what it is but guess probable somesort of marale patch.

I'll keep you posted.

Marc,

I have been here, there and everywhere....soon to depart again...well in Jul for 4 months.

Bill

Snowdrop 68 03-10-17 07:39 AM

This is the reply I got from Honington:

"Never seen it before but the lads are saying you can buy them here in the UK from shops or online. They are just badges to put on your kit like your daysack. Instead of a bog standard UJ it’s got Regt rifles on it so lads get it to stand out. "

So I would imagine a morale patch.

Regards, Bill