British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Monmouthshire Regiment 2/Bn OR's Forage cap 1909 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48966)

JerryBB 17-10-15 02:56 PM

Monmouthshire Regiment 2/Bn OR's Forage cap 1909

4 Attachment(s)
Pre WWI example of an OR's forage cap, nicely marked to 2nd BN Mons regiment and dated 1909. Chinstrap has seen better days but otherwise in good condition and complete with its original leather peak.

JerryBB 14-11-15 10:05 PM

Obviously only two of us like this cap which I thought I was so lucky to get.

Chrisr 15-11-15 03:42 AM

Nice find Jerry. Thanks for the close up of the badge.

Chris

JerryBB 15-11-15 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisr (Post 331444)
Nice find Jerry. Thanks for the close up of the badge.

Chris

Your welcome Chris. I at one stage very carefully removed it and took some photo's of it and it has a slightly longer slider than my other Mons badges also the only one I have which is tapering for the Mons.

Jack8 15-11-15 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 327559)
Pre WWI example of an OR's forage cap, nicely marked to 2nd BN Mons regiment and dated 1909. Chinstrap has seen better days but otherwise in good condition and complete with its original leather peak.

Nice to have the unit and date stamped inside, indeed a good find.

Jack

Chrisr 16-11-15 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 331485)
Your welcome Chris. I at one stage very carefully removed it and took some photo's of it and it has a slightly longer slider than my other Mons badges also the only one I have which is tapering for the Mons.

Jerry,

Many thanks for the additional photos. Good to see both sides of an original with provenance. Mine has voids between the dragon's neck and wing - now wondering whether it is OK.

Cheers
Chris

leigh kitchen 16-11-15 11:08 AM

Nice - there appears to be no trim around the peak, its just a crescent of leather with an impression stamped into the leather around the rim but only on the top?

JerryBB 16-11-15 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 331656)
Nice - there appears to be no trim around the peak, its just a crescent of leather with an impression stamped into the leather around the rim but only on the top?

Thanks Leigh,

That is correct, just an impressed tooled faux edge on top with nowt underneath.

GTB 21-03-16 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisr (Post 331644)
Jerry,

Many thanks for the additional photos. Good to see both sides of an original with provenance. Mine has voids between the dragon's neck and wing - now wondering whether it is OK.

Cheers
Chris

If I may. I also have a genuine 2nd Monmouth but with two voids between neck and wings and also a cruciform "patterned" void in the loop of the tail. Would this be manufacturers variation or possibly another sealed pattern? Came from impeccable source.
Apologies for diminished focus.
GTB