British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Denbighshire Hussars in GM? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83208)

Luke H 10-02-21 09:53 PM

Denbighshire Hussars in GM? + Welsh Horse

3 Attachment(s)
I have seen pictures of Denbigh Hussars wearing these distinctive POW plumes in a bronzed finish.

My question is, has anyone got any period photographs of a unit wearing the GM version of this type or an attributed example?

So far I’ve been unable to find any threads with definitive answers.

GriffMJ 11-02-21 08:41 AM

Hi Luke

It would be "Bronzed" ...if it was Denbigh. You would see traces of the bronzed coat on it somewhere if it was bronzed at all? This type of POWFs has been seen in the 2nd/1st DHY.

By the look of it (and a very nice example it is)..... it was not bronzed.

Frank Kelley 11-02-21 08:58 AM

That is certainly a very handsome badge, but, has no trace of actually ever having a bronze finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 538303)
I have seen pictures of Denbigh Hussars wearing these distinctive POW plumes in a bronzed finish.

My question is, has anyone got any period photographs of a unit wearing the GM version of this type or an attributed example?

So far I’ve been unable to find any threads with definitive answers.

magpie 11-02-21 10:48 AM

Perhaps it's been stripped with nitromors, if you don't know why or care its its brown or black and think all badges are plain brass then that may be the answer.

Luke H 11-02-21 11:15 AM

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.

I’m very confident it’s never been bronzed.

Most of the badges from this die you do find bronzed like the one in my Yeomanry 1914 album - https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=191176

However, there is a significant number like this all with no signs of bronzing at all. I think it’s unlikely and more than mere coincidence that so many from this one die would have been stripped and that all were stripped so thoroughly without the slightest trace.

Interestingly perhaps all the GM ones lacking the finish appear to be on very extruded sliders with a very sharp edge. Perhaps this is indication as to a specific batch? Whereas the bronzed finish badges are found on a bit of a mix of tapering and extruded sliders, the latter having mostly less severe edges.

JerryBB 11-02-21 11:34 AM

lovely badge and the tip of the slider is very interesting unusual from what I remember seeing. A genuine DH still on on my wanted list

Luke H 11-02-21 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBB (Post 538340)
lovely badge and the tip of the slider is very interesting unusual from what I remember seeing. A genuine DH still on on my wanted list

Thank you.

I’ve this one spare Jerry. It’s the same die but has been shaped to fit the cap. I’d let it go to a good home for £25.

magpie 11-02-21 12:21 PM

It's usual for this type of slider, it's either not been put into the radius tool straight or the guide is set wrong.

leigh kitchen 11-02-21 12:37 PM

Luke, cancel my last PM, I hadn't read the post fully, and your inbox wont accept more PMs at the moment.

JerryBB 11-02-21 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 538343)
Thank you.

I’ve this one spare Jerry. It’s the same die but has been shaped to fit the cap. I’d let it go to a good home for £25.

Luke, thank you and I have pm'd you

JerryBB 11-02-21 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 538344)
It's usual for this type of slider, it's either not been put into the radius tool straight or the guide is set wrong.

thank you, I have seen tips like this on AA badges but did not remember seeing it on a gm badge

Luke H 12-02-21 12:49 AM

Slider-ology

2 Attachment(s)
The slider on this one on Dead Spartan is the mirror opposite with its edge.

My understanding of the manufacturing process of sliders is not great but to my novice eye it looks like they’ve made a wide slider and then cut it up the middle to make 2 sliders.

Is that idea too simplistic and coincidence?

They look hurriedly produced, could such a method speed up construction?

Luke H 12-02-21 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 538324)
Hi Luke

It would be "Bronzed" ...if it was Denbigh. You would see traces of the bronzed coat on it somewhere if it was bronzed at all? This type of POWFs has been seen in the 2nd/1st DHY.

By the look of it (and a very nice example it is)..... it was not bronzed.

Hi Griff,

I saw you had a lovely GM example too in your Top 20 album which was initially thought a economy issue.

The 1916 tenders which included the economy issues shows pattern no. 8675/1916 for both the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and Denbighshire Hussars. 3,000 being ordered in bronzed GM.

Interestingly however the 15th London, with an ostensibly identical badge, is pattern no. 614/1915 and 4,000 are ordered in GM.

Odd that the Civil Service Rifles ditched their black badge when other London Battalions and Yeomanry were continuing with ‘bronzed GM’.

So perhaps 15th London is the simple and logical answer based on the records?

Credit and thanks to Julian for the 1916 tender info.

Frank Kelley 12-02-21 08:23 AM

Now that is a particularly nice example, can't go wrong for twenty five quid either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 538343)
Thank you.

JerryBB 12-02-21 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 538443)
The slider on this one on Dead Spartan is the mirror opposite with its edge.

My understanding of the manufacturing process of sliders is not great but to my novice eye it looks like they’ve made a wide slider and then cut it up the middle to make 2 sliders.

Is that idea too simplistic and coincidence?

They look hurriedly produced, could such a method speed up construction?

they have some badges listed as Denbighshire that I would not agree with including a gaunt b'ham on a slider, surely that cannot be correct